[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Medfag here. After I get my MD, instead of going for a specialty,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

File: inflammation.jpg (32KB, 640x517px) Image search: [Google]
inflammation.jpg
32KB, 640x517px
Medfag here. After I get my MD, instead of going for a specialty, I want to study math. I will be 30 when I get my MD. That means I will start studying math when I'm 30, which I consider pretty late to start from scratch. What should I do, /sci/?
>>
File: 1496980659178.png (65KB, 977x785px) Image search: [Google]
1496980659178.png
65KB, 977x785px
Why do you want to study math? What's your ultimate goal in terms of career? If you're just studying math for the sake of it, I'd recommend pic related.
>>
>>9138122
>all that for 1 year of undergrad
Jesus fucking Christ, that's monstrous.
Years of cramming entire lists of differential diagnoses and treatment algorithms into my head without really understanding what the fuck I was memorizing have made me realize that I do not enjoy studying medicine. I deeply enjoy math because everything makes sense. I love how things are deeply interconnected in math. I have no concrete goal in terms of career, maybe I would like to mix my medical knowledge with math so that I don't feel like all these years of suffering were wasted for literally nothing.
>>
File: DIYso9iXgAAVqxb.jpg (105KB, 660x825px) Image search: [Google]
DIYso9iXgAAVqxb.jpg
105KB, 660x825px
>>9138132
Im not even one year into med, and I am a hyuge spacefag. I need math, so that I can understand the mechanisms behind starting the first cosmic drugtrade operation
>>
>>9138091
MS4, find a lifestyle career and keep doing it. you didnt work this hard to stop. dont stop. do the math.
>>
>>9138138
Try studying the pathophysiology of a condition while you memorize the differential diagnoses. Everything in medicine is interconnected as well. Again, physiology may be of some interest to you - if you understand how the control systems of the body work together to ensure homeostasis, then you wouldn't have to rely so much on memorization, which is a complete meme.

And you will have to memorize shit in math as well, btw. And the majority of math in medicine is statistics, common trig identities, and fluid dynamics.

So your MS1? What country are you in?
>>
File: 93-4-iline.gif (10KB, 755x389px) Image search: [Google]
93-4-iline.gif
10KB, 755x389px
>>9138164
I have tried that numerous times. The problem is that medicine punishes you for investing time in understanding rather than memorizing. I have tests every week, and if I focus on understanding, I get failing grades. If I focus on memorizing, I get passing grades. I have no time to fail courses because I'm already almost 30. It's obvious which option I will choose.
When I do have the time, I do like you said. I sit down and take my time to understand what I read. I love those moments where you get that "click" and finally understand why something is as it is, but unfortunately those moments are extremely rare. Medicine is fundamentally rote memorization and trial and error.

I'm what you'd consider MS3. Panama.
>>
>>9138190
exactly, hated that I can never sit and fully i understand one section
>>
>>9138190
what helped you to pass pharmacology? any advice? i also try to understand, but pharmacology here is just memorizing thousands of different drugs and side effects
>>
>>9138314
It depends on your school. How do they evaluate pharmacology in your school?
>>
File: 20141030175354269.jpg (88KB, 670x445px) Image search: [Google]
20141030175354269.jpg
88KB, 670x445px
>>9138190
Im in Costa Rica anon, MS1 I guess? Acabo de meterme a la Uni.
>>
>>9138091
Are you joking?

You're going to get your fucking MD and then go into Mathematics? Wow.

Just become a fucking doctor and do mathematics on the side, as a hobby. Jesus Christ, dude; you've accomplished what only 1% of people in this world do.

I'm sorry that it seems as if I'm shitting on your dreams, but damn dude. You went through 4+ yrs of undergrad, then 4+ yrs of Med School and you're going to say, 'woopz, wanna do math now!'

You clearly have the initiative and drive, but we actually need more doctors in our fucking society. Certain parts of the US are starting to out-source doctors from other states.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.