[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Chemistry I >One week into semester >Caught a cold

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1503940780024.jpg (100KB, 802x960px) Image search: [Google]
1503940780024.jpg
100KB, 802x960px
>Chemistry I
>One week into semester
>Caught a cold
>Two Quizes on Dimensional Analysis, Sig Figs & Nomeclature
>Know I got 1 wrong because of a silly mistake, praying for partial credit for understanding dimensional analysis
>Other quiz I mixed up Percarbonate with Oxalate and didn't have a clue what the formula for Phthalate was.
>Beating myself up for not getting A's already

Should I just drop out now that I know im a brainlet?
>>
I failed my first and second gen chem I exams and have a PhD in chemistry. Just learn from your mistake.
>>
>>9135699
What is your grade like now? Are you working toward an eventual master's or PhD? Are you a freshman? Keep going until the the deadline to drop your class without affecting your GPA. Gen chem is easy peasy, if you are behind, catch up NOW, everything you will ever do in chemistry is based on the stuff you are learning now.
>>
>>9135699
No, your department probably curves the grades, I had an 80 average and got an A- as the final grade
>>
How do you fuck up simple things like that ?
You should probably be fine but still beat yourself up.
>>
>>9135699

Stop wasting your time thinking small, getting bad grades doesn't matter. Grades shouldn't matter at all to you. You just gotta keep finding things that make you emotionally attached to your subject since that's what's going to drive you through it. Keep finding ways to love what you do because intellectually it's not hard to keep yourself on a schedule but it's not even necessary if you already mastered the material a long time ago cause you're past that basic stuff. The details naturally fill themselves in as long as you have goals of things you want to know and get to.
>>
>>9135814 #
>>9135881 #
>>9135889 #
>>9135995 #

I got some rest and I'm feeling better now. I was sick to the point my body ached, had trouble keeping my eyes open, and couldn't focus. This is my 2nd chemistry course in my life and I realized my mistakes after.

I also realized another mistake I made with my sig figs in my sleep. So, I definitely got those wrong too.

I'm beating myself up because I fucked up on stuff I know and could even teach to people if asked.

The quizes were 20 points each, so probably between an F and a D in the lecture. Probably an A in the Lab.

I'm just getting absolutely brutalized from the start. I can probably nullify the impact on my grade by acing the exams.
>>
Eh, I wouldn't worry. As long as you understand the subjects, it's no big deal. You didn't solve 1 out of 6 exercises in a 2.5 hour final. You got just a passing grade. So what? Grades in the first 3 years don't matter all that much. The point is to actually understand and love what you do. Studying 24/7 for that 9/10 ain't worth it. Straight As come a dime a dozen. It's not about remembering all the exercises and then just doing a "copy paste" during the final. It's about challenging yourself. So you failed. Once. Twice. Thrice! Big deal. Get up and try again.
>>
>>9135889
Shit I got an A with a 54 average in my freshman chem lab. Our professor filled all his prelab quizzes with shit about how electronic structure might warrant reordering the period table and our final was just a vial with a solution in it and an inventory of reagents, and there was only one question: what is in the vial?
>>
>>9136229

I heard and love the term "fail forward." If you're not failing you're being lazy, but if you do fail you'd better end up further along than you were.
>>
File: hugh.jpg (33KB, 163x240px) Image search: [Google]
hugh.jpg
33KB, 163x240px
>>9135699
>Chemistry I
I literally refused to pay for ALEKS and did a single homework assignment through the free trial the entire semester, didn't show up for half the classes/quizzes/discussions, and still got an A because of the fucking freshman droolies that filled the class to the brim.
>>
>>9136263
Yeah, I like that as well. I mean, it's accurate. Exams, finals, they're good at testing you, but they're not the end-all-be-all. At the core, it's about how many exercises you did, how many you learned by heart, and how well you remember them to copy & paste. It's why they add like, 8 exercises in 2.5 hours. So you didn't learn a proof by heart or went past those 2 pages at the end and lost that particular problem. Big deal. It's not like your job or resarch will strip you of your books and resources and tell you "you can only use whatever you know by heart". As long as you understand the basics, you're good.

A 7, an 8, even a 10. Sure, the 10-guy may have tried more. Or he may be smarter. Or he may have some crazy good connections. Here in debtland it's all about the connections. But the very first degree is nothing but a stepping stone. Do what ou can, with what you have, try to understand the subject, not just learn the examples and "cases" by heart, and go on. You never know where you'll end up.

People shit on positivity and all that, but they're important ingredients. Without a goal, and without the belief that you'll make it, you won't go far. And breaking people down to pure numbers is a mistake as well. You never know what'll happen.
>>
>>9135992
This
>>
>>9135995
Idk, my professors hammer it in that if we want to get jobs and into good programs, C's aren't going to cut it.
>>
>>9136335
xD
>>
>>9136348
You shouldn't be content with a C, but it's not the end of the world. I mean, each Semester has around 5 Classes, right? 4 years = 8 Semester => 40 Classes, give or take. Some will be an A, some a B, some a C. You shouldn't rest and say "eh, a pass is enough" but beating yourself up is of no use.

Try your damn best and don't pay attention to those around you. Just Grades do not determine people. An autist might close himself in his room and manage to get all As & Bs, but who's to say he has the ideas to make something meaningful? Who's to say it's not just a case of "I've basically learned everything by heart".

Our profs here don't show up. Our books are outdated. They "sell" grades. Do I care? No. I don't have anybody to help me, I'm just grinding alone at home. In this first year, I failed 5 classes. I've taken one already and did hopefully passed with an 8/10. I'm taking another one tomorrow, and another one on Sept.20th. But, I also wrote a 10. And an 8.5. And a 7.5 and yeah, I also wrote a 6, and a 5.5 as well. Do I let this get me down? No. I keep going. As time goes on, I'll improve. I'll stop being lazy. I'll get to know which books are actually good. I'll find exactly what I want to do.

Try your best, if you fall down get up, and just keep moving anon. The important thing is to not give up and fall behind. I know people will start replying with "brainlet" but fuck 'em. Keep on going. You don't have to become the next Newton. Just keep on going. Have a dream, and try your damnest to achieve it.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.