[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /sci/, I was hoping that maybe you would know this. Photodetectors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: 36188-3911787.jpg (62KB, 780x780px) Image search: [Google]
36188-3911787.jpg
62KB, 780x780px
Hi /sci/, I was hoping that maybe you would know this. Photodetectors have different efficiency for detecting photons in one polarization (let's say vertical) and other (eg. horizontal). What are the differences in these detection rates? How much more is one type of photons detected instead of other?
>>
>>9135115
what is the source
>>
>>9135155
Assuming I send a single photon with one of two polarizations - vertical.
>>
It depends on the type of detector.
The most common types of semiconductor materials (Si/InGaAs etc) are made of isotropic materials, so they are not usually polarization sensitive.

There will be polarization sensitivity if the light is not normally incident (i.e. not straight on), but this is not intrinsic to photodetectors. (fresnel equations).

You can make a polarization-sensitive detector by creating anisotropy (birefringence) in the material. There are ways to align molecules in the detecting material so that significant absorption will occur only when the polarization matches one axis. Basically you engineer the material to have linear dichroism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_dichroism
http://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/v10/n8/full/nnano.2015.112.html?foxtrotcallback=true
>>
>>9135367
That's a very nice description and thank you for writing this post. Although I wonder if maybe you know some details about the efficiency of such detectors for vertical/horizontal polarizations? Even a rough estimate of difference in percentage of detected photons of one type and another type would help a lot. Thanks again.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.