[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should a university probability and statistics course require

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1502942047206.jpg (116KB, 765x595px)
1502942047206.jpg
116KB, 765x595px
Should a university probability and statistics course require calculus? Calculus I is a pre-requisite for the PS course at my school, but the textbook does not use calculus at all. In fact, it looks very similar to the applied statistics course I took in high school (I think we even used the same textbook).
Am I getting jipped? I don't want to take applied statistics all over again.
>>
Density variables.
>>
Drumpf... easy on the scoops
>>
So you don't want yo lean calc?
>>
What? If you're even doing remotely relevant statistics, even on the entry level, you should have experience, albeit only a small amount, in multivariable calculus. Double integral minimum.
>>
>>9131226
That's what I was thinking. I looked up PS syllabi from other universities and all of them used this book: https://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Mathematical-Statistics-Robert-Hogg/dp/0321795431. The only exception was an intro to PS class, which used a homebrew textbook that relied heavily on R and never mentioned calculus.
We mentioned applications in statistics when I took calc II, guess the current PS professor didn't the memo.
>>
>>9131079
I'm fine with calculus, I've had two semesters plus multivariate and ODE. I would rather learn statistics with calculus than statistics with excel, and it looks like this class teaches statistics with excel.
>>
if time was discrete maybe
>>
>>9130781
I dunno, i cheated to pass this class.
>>
>>9130781
The probability course should be doing calculus left and right when operating on continuous r. variables, less so in statistics but you still need the fundamental calculus intuition if you want to feel satisfied with the hypothesis testing distributions.
>>
>>9130781
You could just ask your department. You do know that professors don't teach out of their ass right? The department has strict guidelines on what must be covered. So go ask an administrator or a professor who has taught the class and they will know.

But if you are willing to trust an outside source then yeah. My probability and statistics course required calculus because after you are done setting up the axioms and elementary theorems you need to keep going and then calculus kicks in. I mean, if a course covered only elementary probability then it could be taught in two days, not an entire semester.
>>
>>9131513
true but the probability and stats courses I took were heavier on the stats than the probability
>>
Measure theory
>>
Is this the power of American universities?
>>
>>9130781
Of course
>>
>>9130781
Asked one of the math majors at my college, proper probability and statistics is taught in a course called "Theory of Statistics."
Probability and Statistics was dumbed down so the pre-med students could pass it without taking calculus. The same thing happened to our physics department.
>Physics professors progressively die or retire.
>When the last one leaves due to Leukemia, the program is thrown into limbo.
>20 physics freshman arrive to a dead program, all drop-out or transfer within the first year. Physics sophomores/juniors/seniors are encouraged to switch majors.
>College hires an adjunct to teach Algebra Physics I and II so the pre-meds can finish on time :^)
>Geology/chemistry/math students are told to settle for algebra physics or seek calculus physics from another institution.
Fucking pre-meds, they can suck my ass. I am going to be a shitty alumnus when I graduate, I'll give all my sheckels to where I complete my M.Sc./Ph.D.
>>
>>9130781
>Should a university probability and statistics course require calculus

Anything less is useless.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.