[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do I have to learn math when I am never going to use

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: math.jpg (103KB, 831x550px) Image search: [Google]
math.jpg
103KB, 831x550px
Why do I have to learn math when I am never going to use this in real life?
>>
https://www.maa.org/external_archive/devlin/LockhartsLament.pdf
>>
>>9129642
The author makes a good point that math education is shit but the problem is that it is shit because the average person is shit. I doubt anyone except those already predisposed to doing mathematics would give two shits about the derivation of concepts and the intuition behind them. And I do not say this because I am some elitist who thinks others are too retarded to understand what I do. Instead I say so because I can see my own reflection.

Maybe when it came to math I cared about the history and the derivation, intuition and rigor behind concepts. But I also had to take history, geography, english, spanish, literature, music, art, etc. And I did not give a single shit about those classes. And had the fucking teachers forced us to see the intuition and development behind certain art styles or behind certain literary work then I would have gone fucking mental. Give me my literature worksheet, thank you very much. Oh, what are the questions? What is the name of the author, the novel and find the literary context of the novel? Thank you! Let me just copy off wikipedia and hand it to you because I do not give two shits about literature. If I could turn in my own ass wipe as literature homework I would have done it.

And I am being hyperbolic here but I can understand that the way I feel about literature, most people feel about math. So don't change the system. People who hate "worksheet math" will hate real math even more.
>>
>>9129628
Oh come on, are you guys really so blind. We all know the real reason math classes are required for non-stem majors in high-school and in college is to give teachers employment. The reason why math teachers are against maths becoming optional is because most people wouldn't take maths class since it's boring to most of the public. Math teachers would lose their jobs.

Please don't fall for the well-rounded educational person argument. If a person isn't going to use it in real life, there is no point in learning it. Afterall, nobody would agree that a English teacher must learn Chinese in order to be well-versed person so therefore they can teach English class. Who cares if they know Chinese or not?
>>
>>9129628
1) Because we can't know a-priori wether that will be the case

2) Because the benefit of teaching math foundations to the 1% that will use it far outweight the costs of teaching math to the 99% that won't. The alternative would cripple sciences and engineering.
>>
>>9129628
Math is a religion. Hail your god.
"They", want to see if you'll buck the system. If so, then "terminate".
>>
>>9131066
Who are [math]\mathbb{THEY}[/math]?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.