[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's say through the magic of future technology, we start

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: sky egg.png (341KB, 600x416px) Image search: [Google]
sky egg.png
341KB, 600x416px
Let's say through the magic of future technology, we start mining neutronium off neutron stars for whatever reason.
And say we can keep the mined neutronium from exploding.

How much could you harvest before the neutron star tore itself apart?
>>
outside a neutron star the neutrons would have a half life of about 15 minutes before turning into a proton, electron and a kind of neutrino, certain radioactive materials are better sources like californium 252
>>
>>9128329
Why not use your magic future technology to preserve the neutronium on the star as well? Then you can harvest it all!
>>
Wouldn't it un-collapse into a white dwarf if it loses enough mass?

From my understanding, a neutron star is a nova'd star that wasn't massive enough to form a singularity. And a white dwarf is similar, but it wasn't massive enough to become a neutron star.

So in the same way that a neutron star would collapse into a singularity if you added enough extra mass, would it decay into a white dwarf if you took away enough mass?

And how would that work if so, because neutronium is theorized to be almost entirely neutron based matter. Would neutronium be able to undergo fusion? If it lost enough mass, could it decay into something that could achieve fusion?
>>
>>9128345
15 min is plenty of time
>>
>>9128329
Your mining tools would instantly be crushed into neutronium, no matter how much you reinforce them. But if you get a chunk of neutronium to earth by magic, it would instantly explode back into a bunch of free neutrons. These would be travelling well beyond escape velocity, so you'd lose them if not contained. Also, these free neutrons would have a half life of 15 minutes, after which they turn into an electron and a proton.
>>
>>9129731
i just realized that my response doesn't address your question whatsoever. my b
>>
Before any mining happens, one of the defining features of a neutron star is how fast it spins. Check how fast on wikipedia or something. You can't touch the thing.
>>
>>9129843
you mine from the pole retard, not the equator...
>>
>>9129859
better yet, you retard you use a drill and let the spin of the star do all the work for you, duh.
>>
>>9129894
Yeah next we get a big rope around the star so it spins us and when we are fast enough we just release the rope to make it back home with some extra fuel
>>
>>9129894
>We will use a giant spoon to mine neutronium!

What will the applications of our new neutronium be?
>>
>>9129967
As unobtanium for my gay sci-fi slash fiction
>>
File: lennyface.gif (15KB, 128x36px) Image search: [Google]
lennyface.gif
15KB, 128x36px
>>9130065
Nice, we finally have a good reason to get this shit. Can I get a copy when it's done?
>>
>>9129704
For you to jerk off with it?
>>
>>9128329
How are we even going to handle a single ounce of neutronium? Isn't that shit dense beyond a fuckton?
>>
>>9128329
Wow, Vancouver has pitiful vertical density. No wonder real estate is so insane, Chinese prospectors notwithstanding.
>>
>>9131551
A marble size would weigh more than a dozen empire state building.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.