[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could the reason machine learning is stuck in a rut be because

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1502674239135.jpg (43KB, 499x341px) Image search: [Google]
1502674239135.jpg
43KB, 499x341px
Could the reason machine learning is stuck in a rut be because it's become too competitive, and thus is filled with soulless asians with perfect GPA's producing purely derivative work?
>>
>>9126015
no optimization is limited by the amount of information given and ability to fit the information. representing all information to be processed numerically such that it has some complex accurate memory properties is difficult.

no one is teaching in school the next wave of ml right now.

the problem:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_room
>>
>>9126018
I think the answer is to symbolize the functioning of the program too, higher order meta cognition. Right?
>>
Pretty much.

The conferences are being flooded with by papers made by teams of asian grad students who just fiddle with conv net architectures until they overfit the dataset even more than the last guy.

Really though, I think the problem is that "Data Science" people all moved over into "Machine Learning" once it became the buzz word. And data science guys are purely concerned with pushing benchmarks, so that kind of spawned this attitude.

Machine Learning used to feel very scientific and mathy, but now its becoming more like engineering.
>>
>>9126281
I agree with this need for higher order cognition.

How ever I think its important not to fall back into the symbolic AI trap of yesteryear. Neural representations can act as fuzzy symbols, and you can still do something very much like symbolic reasoning in a fully neural systems, so I think thats the way of the future.
>>
>>9126018
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_room
wikipedia really has dropped in quality

You have to read three paragraphs into the second section before it even explains the theory/thought experiment.
>>
>>9126308
I agree with that. I still see neural interactions fundamentally as sign vehicles, not symbols tho.
>>
How do we make ML great again?
>>
>>9126825
More layers
>>
it's stuck in a rut because the field is full of code monkeys publishing minor variations on network structures that they happened on that fit some small minor specialized problem
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.