[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is smoking really that bad for your health? Is the science irrefutable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9

Is smoking really that bad for your health? Is the science irrefutable in this case, or kind of shaky and politically motivated?
>>
>>9124559
Politics is what keeps smoking alive despite being so bad for your health, smokey
>>
It actually is very healthy. It creates a protective film on your lungs that will keep actual bad shit out.
>>
I did some research yesterday since I started smoking a few cigs a day recently and want to rationalize it. It seems smoking <5 cigarettes/day increases lung cancer risk about 3 times, or all-cause mortality 1.6 times.
Also I found some paper saying most smoking-related diseases can be prevented by quitting before your forties.
Sources on light smoking
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2865193/
http://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/14/5/315
Lung cancer in non-smokers:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2764546/
>>
>>9124592
Also there's not much difference between light and heavy smokers dying from cardiovascular diseases, but personally I'm not very worried about that.
>>
>>9124592
>Light and intermittent smoking are frequently found among the young, the educated..
Smart people smoke confirmed
>>
File: Tar.jpg (2MB, 1712x1121px) Image search: [Google]
Tar.jpg
2MB, 1712x1121px
>>9124562
Exactly.
God bless tar.
>>
>>9124592
Table 2 of the bmj.com paper gives a good overview
>>
>>9124602
>tfw to smart to not smoke
Gonna take a break after this pack is up, fuck tolerance.
>>
>>9124562
that seems kinda bs
>>
>>9124559
>politically motivated?
Yeah, big tobacco wants to sell death sticks, and big pharma wants you to get cancer.
Oh wait...
>>
Of course it's bad, as someone who smoked for about 10 years then quit it certainly is noticeable. You will certainly notice that you can't breath as deeply, hold your breath anywhere near as long, lose sense of smell and sense of taste.

I not view cigarettes as more like a snickers bar. You wouldn't eat 5 snickers bars a day and think that it's healthy. But a snickers bar once or twice a month is just a nice treat.

The problem allot of people have is they can't just occasionally smoke, it's an all or nothing. People are weak and lack self control.

But yeah, most things in life that are enjoyable are bad in excess. Cigarettes are delicious, I love them, but I know that excess is dangerous. Then again who wants to live a long, empty, and boring life without any pleasures. It's better to die at 60 with a full life of pleasure and accomplishments than at 80 being a boring baby back bitch.
>>
There are no in vivo studies showing a link between smoking and lung cancer.
>>
>>9124559
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRenGy0cg5s
>>
>>9124721
It's not like they're addictive or anything right
>>
>>9124559
Leftist conspiracy.
>>
>>9124765
Addiction is a mental illness, anyone with decent genes won’t get addicted to anything
>>
File: VNHIV1M.jpg (84KB, 900x610px) Image search: [Google]
VNHIV1M.jpg
84KB, 900x610px
>>9124561

/thread

It's the biggest scandal of all the History. We know smoking is incredibly bad for heath but we keep selling it and it's easily accessible for everybody.

You are the king of brainlets if you begin smoking or if you keep smoking.
>>
Smoking isn't just bad because of the small increase in mortality due to lung cancer. There's also the fact that it completely destroys your lung capacity and endurance. You'll have to stop every time you get to the top of a flight of stairs to catch your breath like a fucking obese person
>>
>this thread again
>>
Yeah but does anyone just have a fag or two when they're pissed?
>>
>>9124835
Yes, which just happens to be every day.
>>
>>9124559
I've been smoking for a couple years now about 10-20 a day, and I have had no adverse effects on my health at all. I'm 22. Now with the tobacco being tempered with all sorts of chemicals and filters having even more stuff put in them to make them safer it should be ok, as long as you aren't a 40 a day man.

fyi my uncle is like 80 and he's been smoking a pipe since he was 15. I mean that unfiltered, real thick stuff. He's ok. My other uncle is 60 odd and he smokes 40 a day, he hasn't had a heart attack. My dad is 56, hasn't smoked in his life and he did. My Mum used to smoke every day and she looks really young for her age. I think its mostly genetic but it certainly doesn't help you... oh well.
>>
>>9124721
Pls stop this self control myth. Cunt.
>>
>>9124602
You know who else smokes and has higher than average IQ?
Hard drug users.
>>
>>9124857
>pipe
While it is still unhealthy, you don't inhale pipe smoke like you do cigarette smoke so I wouldn't really compare the two
>>
>>9124771
Sure. Because Big Pharma and Big Tobacco strictly follow Lenin's teachings, makes total sense.
>>9124857
Top tier rationalization.
>>9124772
If you had such good genes you simply wouldn't smoke. Because it's not useful for anything at all.
>>
File: smoking.png (438KB, 1029x492px) Image search: [Google]
smoking.png
438KB, 1029x492px
>>9124559
>>
>>9124880
>Because it's not useful for anything at all
This is one of the most useless arguments against smoking so I guess your genes aren't so good either
>>
>>9124877

I guess. The effects of nicotine can still be absorbed through the gums.

>>9124880

>Top tier rationalization.

Sarcasm? Why are you even here? Stop being a bossy breeches and let people do what they want.
>>
>>9124892
Only braindead morons need drugs to do well in their studies. Regardless of whether it's Tobacco or amphetamines, if you need to use them because your brain is obviously not good enough.
>>
>>9124596
>not worrying about dying from cardiovascular diseases
Litterally the #1 cause of death. You'll understand when your friends and family start dying and you notice a pattern.
>>
>>9124917
The reason that argument is useless is because it's based on the idea that utility is the main deciding factor in whether or not a person smokes. Here's a hint: it's not.
>>
>>9124857
How do people even smoke 40 a day? If I smoke 5 in a day it's already a lot.
>>
>>9124950
Well 40 is just under 2 packs in merry old england so its not that much. if you really get into the habit then its as easy as breathing, especially if they're already made for you. I have to roll mine and sometimes I can't be bothered which helps cut some out though lol
>>
>>9124862
Stop being a weak excuse for a human being.
>>
>>9124966
40 is EXACTLY two packs, numbnuts.
>>
>people smoking cigarettes for pleasure
A lie or they confuse it with cigars.
>>
>>9124917
By your logic, you ought to be using drugs.
>>
>>9124984
>or kind of shaky and politically motivated?

Anon, are you retarded? Please, do elaborate on the supposed political motivation here. I mean, it's not like tobacco companies have tried to muddy the debate a number of times with their lies and bs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_ZDQKq2F08

I mean, get a grip. It's not rocket science.
>>
>>9124983
What you've said is nonsensical. How are cigarettes not pleasurable?
>>
>>9124983
>I don't like thing so other people liking thing is a lie
k
>>
>>9124984
Nice argument brainlet.
>>
>>9124989
While I appreciate the free (you), I believe you replied to the wrong person.
>>
I smoke a pack per week or so, there are some times I go 2-3 weeks without smoking, I don't think I have an addiction. But when studying or drinking alcohol I wanna have a fag or two.
>>
>>9124995
My apologies- As you're probably aware of, I was directing it at OP.
>>
>>9124994
What argument? That was merely an insult.

There's no point arguing with halfbaked assertions that were unrelated to anything any anons said. I thought I should provide a contribution to the thread of similar quality and substance. I see you've followed the same line of thinking in your own reply to me.
>>
>>9125013
not that guy you were talking with, but you sound like a faggot -- stop talking like that
>>
File: 1411510125095.gif (89KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1411510125095.gif
89KB, 600x450px
>>9125013
>merely an insult
>>
>>9125008
No harm done.

>>9125023
Kek I switch to writing like that occasionally without meaning to. I have noted and ignored your complaint.
>>
>>9124991
They don't taste good.
And you smoke them up in 3 minutes.
>>
>>9124917

I got through law school without a cup of coffee let alone drugs.
>>
>>9125050
>They don't taste good
This is entirely subjective. I would agree if we're talking menthol cigarettes but that's my opinion
>you smoke them up in 3 minutes
Light another
>>
>>9125041
well you're still talking like a faggot, so maybe it's not a "way of speaking" and you're just a faggot
>>
>>9125075
Touché. Is what I'd say if you'd made a good counterpoint. Which you didn't.

By the way, your mom is a whore and your father sucks dick on the reg, bruv.
>>
File: 1414555270366.jpg (79KB, 533x700px) Image search: [Google]
1414555270366.jpg
79KB, 533x700px
>>9125083
You're good at this
>>
>>9124857
Nigga you dumb as fuck

>I'm 22 and have no adverse effects on my health
Did you happen to think about the fact that your temporary youth might be the reason you don't notice the effects as much? Young body is much more capable of handling damage.
>>
>>9125083
it wasn't a counterpoint, it's just what I think. By the way, you're still speaking like a faggot.

Haha, faggot
>>
File: 1436077871464.jpg (87KB, 368x500px) Image search: [Google]
1436077871464.jpg
87KB, 368x500px
>>9125087
You too. You forgot to say faggot though.
>>
>>9125089
Is this the part where I whip my dick out or is that later? CHOO CHOO
>>
>>9125093
Can you send a single post that isn't just dripping with faggotry, jesus christ. I don't disagree with anything you said, but do you recognize how much of a faggot you are? Do you see the fag-juices oozing out of your ears? faggot
>>
>>9125095
But if I did that anon, I wouldn't get to collect all these cheap (you)s.

Seriously though, we're shitting up /sci/ with our /b/-tier antics so let's knock it off.
>>
>>9125092
Oh I'm not that guy. I was reading your posts and analyzing how they made me want to respond like that guy and realized you're p good at that
>>
>>9125099
alright, good talking with ya

faggot
>>
>>9125083
I think you're a faggot too, might as well just accept it.
>>
>>9125246
Tell me more
>>
>>9124862
>self control myth
This is pathetic
>>
The issue with smoking is not the stuff inside your cigs.

The issue is that you should be doing DIFFICULT things in life to get your endorphins.

Run till your legs are light and you feel high, get 100% on your quantum mechanics exam after mastering the material, work for 50+ hours a week.

The nicotine kills your motivation more than your body.

peac
>>
File: americans will castrate this.webm (3MB, 384x288px) Image search: [Google]
americans will castrate this.webm
3MB, 384x288px
>>9125411
>nicotine
>endorphins
>>
Just chew the gum
>>
>>9124981
In each pack of Sterling there's 18 cigarettes in each pack. Retard.
>>
>>9125088
You've missed my point completely. As usual with people on this board.
>>
Science can't prove it but the statistical evidence is there (or so I'm told).
>>
>>9124777
I hope it's a good argument for decriminalization of things like LSD or Amphetamine. I don't agree with people who say it should be banned. Let people take their drugs. If they commit a violent crime in the process, they probably would have anyway and will be held fully responsible for their actions.
>>
>>9124835
Yep. Lead to me buying a pack for myself to smoke alone. After a while I had to stop because the taste was just so damn bad. I do like the aroma though. And unburnt tobacco smells like figs and licorice.
>>
>>9124559
Your body has a highly developed system for clearing particulate matter from the air you breathe before it gets to your lungs.
But fuck it, lets overload it with combustion products it can't be that bad.
>>
Nicotine stimming.
>>
>>9125983

fucking metric system
>>
If you do smoke you have probably felt the negative effects and can confirm yourself that it is bad for you. I sometimes "party smoke" and even I can feel the negative effects days after.
>>
>be smokers lungs
>get transplanted
>be just as good as normie lungs
truth.org on suicide watch
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.