[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's the moment math looked cool to you? for me it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1492141397945.png (15KB, 348x374px) Image search: [Google]
1492141397945.png
15KB, 348x374px
what's the moment math looked cool to you?

for me it's with adding number successively from m-n.

basically if you added numbers 1-13 you get what's equivalent to multiplying 7x7, which can be represented as a grid counting through the row and column. i know it's basic arithmetic, but it was the first time i liked math because it made sense and wasn't just plug n chug.
>>
>>9122091
I was the kind of nerdy kid who was always excited by math books as early as middle school but I never really had the brains to do real math at the university level, at least the way it's normally taught
>>
>>9122091
>basically if you added numbers 1-13 you get what's equivalent to multiplying 7x7,

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure 91 isn't equal to 49.
>>
Homological algebra seemed very cool to me when I started learning it.
>>
>>9122107
That doesn't stop me from reading Wikipedia articles and pirating ebooks about it though
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (74KB, 1754x1240px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
74KB, 1754x1240px
cardinalties
>>
I was mindfucked by factorials. I'd say way back then.
>>
>>9122091
In high school, the math curriculum was built around forming a foundation for calculus which was then taught to some seniors. I wasn't that interested, but I did pretty well. At some point, probably 4th grade or so, I was given a book about codebreaking that glossed over a lot of the math so I was just waiting to learn the relevant theory to start doing radical crypto shit. It never came in high school, but I was pretty sure I wanted to be a cryptographer, so I applied to university as a math major. Math looked cool to me when I realized it's the underpinning of basically all secret communication on the planet.
>>
>be 3rd grader in greece
>have teacher who fits the spank with the ruler 1980s-type stereotype
>super strict
>tore a brown kids notebook in half once
>probably only because he was the only brown but i thought it could happen to me too i couldnt tell the difference
>assigned to memorize the multiplication table up to 10x10 over a break of 20 minutes
>work my ass off in class it might have been assigned the as homework the day before
>teacher comes back
>25 math question assignment
>after some time passes kids have lined up to ask questions
>i line up too but ive finished the entire sheet
>teacher gives me a look and takes the paper away
thats where the foggy memory ends but i think thats what sparked me devoting to math
>>
whenever math stopped being "do 20 problems and memorize these formulas."

basically after I got out of my shitty american high school education
>>
>>9122091
calculus.
it's just great for engineering.
most of algebra is pretty intuitive, so I wouldn't call it "cool", but calculus is just great once you get what it's useful for
>>
When calculus started in high school, before that I was rather uninterested and a poor student but around that time I started to realise the connections between the different kinds of problems we had been given along the years, and I liked the feeling of understanding.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.