[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If one wanted to learn a language, not for the purposes of actually

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1H9gX.png (14KB, 540x265px) Image search: [Google]
1H9gX.png
14KB, 540x265px
If one wanted to learn a language, not for the purposes of actually utilizing it in real life conversing with others, but for the solitary intellectual fields that would be unlocked by doing so as well as the unique points of view unlocked by the aphorisms and grammatical structure of the language, which one would be best to learn?

I assume Latin, but maybe also French or German? Or Russian? Anyone?
>>
>>9121993
>If one wanted to learn a language, not for the purposes of actually utilizing it in real life conversing with others, but for the solitary intellectual fields that would be unlocked by doing so as well as the unique points of view unlocked by the aphorisms and grammatical structure of the language, which one would be best to learn?
Math.
>>
esperanzo cuz it everyting
>>
>>9121993
I would recommend the language that's most different from your mother tongue.
I'm Hungarian native, studied English, Japanese, Russian and Basque. All different families, different logic, different writing system, different phonology.
If you only speak English, your best bet is Japanese or Russian, because they're both exotic and have plenty of study material and entertainment (novels, movies, etc).
German would make the least sense in your case, since it's very similar to English.
Good luck, it's a great journey and definitely worth it!
>>
>>9121993
The languages with the most published research and likely to have lots of cutting edge research in future.

I'm planning on being fluent Russian and Mandarin by around 2028. I just need to become fluent in Thai (2019) because I have ancestry there. I wouldn't recommend Thai to anyone though, unless it was personal.
>>
>>9121993
You're never going to bother learning it anyway, so what difference does it make which language you don't learn?
>>
>>9122119
>The languages with the most published research and likely to have lots of cutting edge research in future.
It's English, and I think it will be in at least the next 20 years, too.
>>
>>9122136
Languages, as I assume OP knows English. But there are other languages with published literature. Fairly evident English has the most research and will continue to do so.

Learning a language for the purpose of reading more research seems like a waste of time anyway. I'm not too sure how beneficial being bi or multilingual (and studying a language and not your actual field) would have on being a better scientist or mathematician anyway. Likely marginal.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.