[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why is the mole considered a base SI unit? don't tell me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: nts.png (53KB, 159x160px) Image search: [Google]
nts.png
53KB, 159x160px
why is the mole considered a base SI unit?

don't tell me what they are, i already understand avogadro's number and all that shit. my problem with the unit is that it's dimensionless, it's just a number of something. a mole could easily be a mole of oranges, or a mole of elephants. it doesn't describe anything dimensionally like the other units (meter, kilogram, etc) do.

so why is it a unit, especially when we have the technology now to reliably measure atoms in accurate ways such as mass?
>>
M O T H E R L O A D (goldium edition)
>>
A mole is just a conceptually different way of measuring something entirely than physical dimensions. It has more in common with the concept of "a dozen" or "twenty of them" than with "a meter" or "a gram".

The fact that it's so different is exactly what makes it useful, though. It describes a different concept than volume or weight.
>>
>>9121250
>is illiterate
>doesn't understand something obvious

Figures. Fuck off, illiterate retard.
>>
>>9121250
The utility of the mole is simply that it is a human-scale amount. A good spoonful of graphite powder would be about a mole of carbon. Only kink is they didn't make it a round power of ten, but oh well.
>>
>>9121250
The mole is a convenient number in that it retains ratios of elements in molecules while at a macroscopic scale. It allows us to make predictions about molecular reactions on that scale using atomic properties of its constituent elements.
>>
Many would agree with you but SI is shit so there you have it.
>>
>>9121894
You are retarded.

Avogadro's number is defined to be the inverse of the atomic mass unit, so that the atomic weight equals the molar mass.

This makes one of them a measurable constant of nature and dependent on the definition of the other units.
>>
>>9121250
It's a combination of the arbitrary fetishes of both carbon-12 and the gram.

Shit gets all fucked up when you realize hot objects weigh more than cold ones.
>>
>>9122434

>Shit gets all fucked up when you realize hot objects weigh more than cold ones.
???
>>
Dimensional analysis is retarded tbqh.
>>
>>9122849
Also want to know what did he mean by that
>>
>>9122849
>>9122887

Hot objects have more energy, therefore if you're weighing a hot object it weights very very slightly more.

e=mc^2 strikes again.
>>
>>9121253
One of those childhood games that you will always remember
>>
>>9121250

I just came here to thank Mr. Nathan for all the money.
>>
>>9122894
I think you might be a brainlet
>>
>>9121250

Moles are useful
>>
>>9123679
He's right, though
>>
>>9123223
It's Natas.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.