[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

just became interested in linguistics. Read the wiki, where

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: linguistics.png (103KB, 896x586px) Image search: [Google]
linguistics.png
103KB, 896x586px
just became interested in linguistics. Read the wiki, where should I start?
>>
File: 1500802571806.jpg (127KB, 700x675px) Image search: [Google]
1500802571806.jpg
127KB, 700x675px
Noam Chomsky and anarcho-syndicalism.
>>
Mathematical Linguistics
>>
fuck off Luke Smith you normie
>>
File: Ethnologue 2017.png (282KB, 1349x3129px) Image search: [Google]
Ethnologue 2017.png
282KB, 1349x3129px
>>9117534
The Five-Minute Linguist (Bite-sized essays on language and languages) Edited by E.M. Rickerson and Barry Hilton

Linguistics (An Introduction to Language and Communication) Edited by Adrian Akmajian, Richard A. Demers, Ann K. Farmer and Robert M. Harnish

The Handbook of Linguistics Edited by Mark Aronoff and Janie Rees-Miller
>>
>>9117534
Depends what part of it you're interested in. The different subfields can be pretty different from each other. Like there wouldn't be much of a point in looking at semantics if you were interested in phonological typology. What's your interest?
>>
>>9117661
And the whole site of Ethnologue and SIL
>>
>>9119437
What is the use of those sites?
>>
>>9119715
An Alternative Syntax and The Generative Lexicon.
>>
>>9119715
https://www.ethnologue.com/about

But they are more about languages per se not about linguistics
>>
>>9118901
I want to understand languages so I can learn them better. Being familiar with PIE would be preferable. Also want to work on translation software and I already am pretty deep into computer science.
>>
>>9117617
I've met this guy, is he OP?
>>
>>9120926
You could also try
The Indo-European Controversy: Facts and Fallacies in Historical Linguistics by Asya Pereltsvaig and Martin W. Lewis

The Horse, the Wheel, and Language: How Bronze-Age Riders from the Eurasian Steppes Shaped the Modern World by David W. Anthony
>>
>>9117537
LANGUAGE IS PROBABILISTIC U FUK
>>
>>9117534
start with the greeks
>>
>>9120926
If you're interested in historical linguistics then check out Lyle Campbell's Historical Linguistics: an Introduction. Last I checked you could find it online. It's a good introduction to descriptive linguistics overall, though it's primarily about how languages change over time.
If you want to get into formal linguistics, start with the first chapter of Aspects of the Theory of Syntax for syntax. You could probably then look at Heim & Kratzer's textbook if you wanted to get into semantics. For phonology, probably read the first chapter or two of Sound Pattern of English. For phonetics, you want to read Ladefoged's A Course in Phonetics. Syntax and phonology have changed radically since Apsects and SPE were published, but changes have been mostly in response to the paradigms they set up. Even if you disagree with them now, they're a good introduction to some big issues people are still talking about.
>>
>>9122535
Also, about Aspects and SPE, you probably don't want to read the actual analyses in those books, just the introductions, since that's the part that holds up the most. Reading and understanding the details of the analyses would probably be more confusing than helpful.
>>
>>9117617
What do you think about the idea that internal merge is a logical consequence of adopting simplest merge, but sideward movement/parallel merge isn't?
>>
>>9123010
Me, I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense. The idea is that External Merge is just Merge(A, B) where A neither contains nor is contained in B, and Internal Merge is just Merge(A, B) where A either contains or is contained in B. But Parallel Merge is just EM where A or B is contained in something else. Why rule that out?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.