[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should things like the theory of evolution and the germ theory

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: n.png (289KB, 500x505px) Image search: [Google]
n.png
289KB, 500x505px
Should things like the theory of evolution and the germ theory of disease be called 'models' rather than 'theories'? Would I be wrong to clarify by using that word?.
Seems to me that neither of those is a truth claim per se, but both become one when used as an explanation for some specific disease for example.
>>
it's a theory if it explains the majority of evidence
>>
Niggas make sizzurp and get called chemist now?
>>
No, a model is a smaller thing you construct within the framework of a theory.
>>
>>9116170
Damn, if a person of color says it then it must be true. All for diversity.

You all heard it folks, go find all your local gay people and send them to the gulags. #diversity.
>>
In science the word theory has kind of a double meaning. It's usually used for something concerning ideas (as opposed to something practical) but in the scientific world people just call a theory a set of consistent models or propositions that are widely considered facts
>>
>>9116170
How do magnets work anyway?
>>
>>9116170
Everything is a model you dumb cunt. The word "chair" isn't an actual chair.
>>
>>9116170
You can say that we have a working model of micro-evolution but no model of marco-evolution (as of yet)
The issue with germ theory of disease is that disease is a broad subject.
You will need to classify a word to define becoming ill from bacteria and other microorganisms
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.