[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Disclaimer: I'm no physicist and have less than a basic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: azathoth.jpg (580KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
azathoth.jpg
580KB, 1000x1000px
Disclaimer: I'm no physicist and have less than a basic understanding of the concepts I'm about to discuss. I'm simply presenting my intuition, which is probably stupid.

>Is there a correlation between the arrow of time and the expansion of space?
I've heard that space and time are inseperable and only understood as the single concept of space-time.
Also that the faster you move, the slower time flows for you. Is it because the expansion of space relative to your position in it, become closer together, thus the difference which causes the flaw of time is smaller?
>>
>>9109563
retrocausality is a thing. arrow of time is a myth
>>
based penrose got you senpai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2_6h15UCMg
>>
>>9109566
proof?
>>
>>9109563
Well, I'm just a noone, so take my reply with a side of salt.
Think of time going forward as the same as entropy in the Universe increasing, since there's no way for entropy to decrease, there's no way to go back in time. you percieve time going forward not as a forth dimension, but as the total energy of the Universe slowly reaching equilibrium.
For a diferent view, try imagining yourself in an empty Universe, kind of like a Universe that has already reached heat-death. Only you as an observer. Without acconting your body as a part of this Universe, there is absolutly no way to tell if time is moving forward or backwards or even if time is not passing at all right? So taking the things put in the equation, it's relatively safe to say that the only correlation beetween time going forward and the expansion of sapce is that both of these represent the increase in the total entropy of the Universe.
(Hope to make my point clear and sorry for any typos)
>>
>>9109566
>arrow of time is a myth
What is entropy
>>
>>9110138
Entropy is basically the concept that evey closed system tends to reach chaos. For example, a cup of coffee with freshly put in milk is a low-entropy system, because is mostly organised (half-coffee, half-milk), as time passes (or entropy increases) the milk and the coffee tend to reach a state of maximum entropy, which is the state in wich you have a mixture of both, per se, not organized at all.
>>
>>9109563
The universe seems to be expanding based on observations so as time increases the universe expands

The expansion of spacetime is not necessarily related with time dilation effects, which are verified as well in Minkowski (flat, non expanding). That is simply a consequence of some of the postulates of relativity.
Saying that time flows slower for you can also be a bit sloppy. It flows slower relative to someone moving slower than you (or stopped), there's really no difference whether you're on a speedy frame (that's what relativity is all about!)
>>
>>9110276
Isn't it a bit sloppy to say that someone is "stopped" as well? After all everything is moving relative to something else.
>>
>>9109563
>I've heard that space and time are inseperable and only understood as the single concept of space-time.
However space and the 3 space axes are all orthogonal.
>>
>>9110148
that would not be maximum possible entropy for that system, nor is the liquid state minimum entropy.
you need to also consider the fact that entropy is all the possible arrangements that molecules can have within a system, and it so happens that as they dis-organize they increase in entropy because every molecule has the potential to arrange itself in more ways.
>>
File: 1502691623210.png (1MB, 1280x721px) Image search: [Google]
1502691623210.png
1MB, 1280x721px
>>9109720
quantum eraser
>>
>>9112187
You are completly correct, I was just absurdly simplifying it.
>>
You kinda talk about two different thing one being as you approach the speed of light time slows down as you can't go the speed of light so applying force to an object will force it to gain mass as it approaches the speed of light and experience time slower than we do and talking about the expansion of the universe as a cause for the lack of time travel but as someone else has said you can only increase or remain constant when it comes to entropy so going back to a state of lesser entropy is impossible when it comes to sending things with mass back in time however I've seen mention of sending massless waves and photons back in time being theoretically possible
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.