[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>failed algebra 2 two times back in highschool. >struggled

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

>failed algebra 2 two times back in highschool.
>struggled through algebra 1 and geometry.
>want to become an engineer.

Is it possible? If I pre study very, very hard before I try for a degree in engineering next year, will I make it?

Also, how does one get better at mathematics? Do I just do a bunch of practice problems?

PLS HALP

And really, how does one get better at math
>>
>>9109354
the closet thing you'll ever do to engineering with that is sucking cock
>>
>>9109354
Don't listen to anyone who says you can't do it. Math is easy, I used to struggle at math too, cuz I didn't give a single shit, all you have to do is apply yourself put in alot of effort and you'll git gud at math, unless you have a major disability or genetic problem with numbers and logic, you can do it.
>>
>>9109354
How the fuck do you fail high school algebra?
>>
>>9109574
I literally put no effort into it.
Because even when I did stare at the book for a few hours during study time, the concepts confused me.
And I was doing really good in everything else, so I just stopped caring.

>>9109481
Thanks.
>>
>>9109354
2/3rds of my graduating HS class now hold engineering degrees and all of them are normie retards who literally cant read or count, youl be fine
>>
>>9109774
what the fuck does that say about engineers... HMMMMM
>>
>>9109574
By not paying attention in class or doing homework.
>>
>>9109354
You’re better off killing yourself
>>
>>9109354
You're literally me. Except I had an 8 year gap between high school and college because I was in the army and doing some other stuff

So now I've literally forgotten how to even count and I am starting a mech engineering degree. I'm fucked and don't actually think I'll make it, I got a C in developmental algebra last semester.
>>
It will probably be a lot of practice. Math is not naturally intuitive, so you will need to work at it and understand what's going on, including understanding where you may have gone wrong at a certain step.
>>
>>9109354
just study so hard your balls fall off
>>
>>9109354
easily possible. you have no idea how many autists are studying engineering
>>
>>9109354
You can if you work your ass off. It takes extreme dedication. I was even worse off than you a few years ago but then just said "fuck it" and studied like my life depended on it, eventually catching up to and surpassing the average student. I'm still not quite up to par with your average STEM student but it's only a matter of time before I catch them too. You can do it if you decide that you would rather die than fail. It takes radical determination.
>>
File: 41jOvUQ+dhL._SY445_QL70_.jpg (20KB, 296x445px) Image search: [Google]
41jOvUQ+dhL._SY445_QL70_.jpg
20KB, 296x445px
>>9109354
I was in an extremely similar situation. I'd highly recommend reading this book. I've gotten As in all my math classes thanks to it.
Also do not under any circumstances be lazy. Even getting behind a day will completely fuck you up and stress you out.
>>
>>9109354
The problem isn't that your brain doesn't have the hardware for math, it doesn't have the hardware for studying very very hard.

Pick up a 1000+ page precalculus book and go through it. Work on it for at least an hour a day. If you can do that than you probably have what it takes.
>>
>>9110022
>just study so hard your balls fall off
So thats what happened to /sci/ people...
>>
>>9109354
No, don't do it. Although in industry, your job might not necessarily depend on lots of calculus/diff eqs etc, you will have n absolutely terrible time at uni.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDA3fF6WsVQ
>>
>>9109354
50% of Engineering majors who were good at math in high school drop out after failing calculus.
>>
>>9110721
This is sweet
>>
>>9109354
desu that's probably the least you could become if you apply yourself through this magical gateway of learning

www.khanacademy.org
>>
File: 1502695181462.jpg (93KB, 600x860px) Image search: [Google]
1502695181462.jpg
93KB, 600x860px
>>9110721
>>9111200

I agree, OP look at this video :)

Sending positive vibes.
>>
>>9111235
>>9110721

I can fucking relate. I'm a senior physics undergrad thanks to the big Sal.
>>
How the fuck am I supposed to keep up in math if all professors want to do is teach that shit as fast as possible to meet all the deadlines and cover the material during the semester.

Schools need a slowed down kinda math, one that doesn't just last a semester so they can cover everything and make it understood for those who struggle or are behind.
>>
>>9111701
Unfortunately for those of us that don't grasp concepts quickly we must work harder outside of class.
>>
>>9109354

Math is all about pattern recognition. Outside of something like rate and optimization problems almost everything you need to do well relies on you memorizing the cookie-cutter formulas they want you to know. This is true from HS all the way up to college math.

The other side of the issue is recognizing when you're looking at something that you've been taught in a manner that might not be immediately obvious. Once you understand what the problem wants 9 times out of 10 it's just a matter of grinding through the problem while trying not to screw somewhere along the way.

The best way to get better is to practice. Just like any other task.

Also, don't worry if between semesters you panic and think, "Oh, no! I think I'm forgetting what I learned last time." That's normal. Even if you forget the specifics of a method due to lack of use, as long as you know where to look for it you can reacquire it later and it won't be nearly as difficult to learn as it was the first time around,

I'll give an example. I had a lot of trouble with single dimension calculus at first, but after working my ass off by the time I got to multidimensional calculus those problems were a snap. And for reference, I have a PhD in Elec. Engineering. You get out what you put in.
>>
>>9109354
Lol literally the opposite for me

> Top 1% of state for Math
> Do pretty well in calc 1/2/3 linear algebra
> Fucking hate the actual engineering subjects, only really enjoy the math

So I just switched from engineering to finance and economics, with an extra-side thing of financial math
>>
>>9109354
if you struggle with the most basic algebra and proofs, you're totally out on any sort of intellectual pursuit. With that being said, engineering sounds like the perfect profession for you.
>>
actually put the effort in and you will be fine, there was a kid in my calc class that was dumb as a doorknob but spent so much time at the tutors he passed (engineer major too). if he can do it you can too.
this video has study tips you might find useful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqk4vcuKoBQ
>>
>>9109354
Yeah, started lowest math there is in college and now I'm in clac 2
>>
>>9112058
This is huge, if you don't actually do anything outside of class you won't go anywhere in life.
>>
Hi

I have a mech e degree from missouri S&T and I make $18/hr climbing cell phone towers and gathering data that I send to an actual engineer

youll be fine

the world needs people that can do things without having their hand held
>>
>>9109354
yea you can do it. engineering is just learning how to apply formulas. it's really an issue of creativity rather than raw math power.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.