[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was thinking about natural selection and selection in general.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

File: Emoji_Icon_-_Thinking_grande.png (264KB, 574x600px) Image search: [Google]
Emoji_Icon_-_Thinking_grande.png
264KB, 574x600px
I was thinking about natural selection and selection in general. How all of our traits are the results of what was most fit for the environment. What if our consciousnesses and decisions worked similarly? What if the mind is like a sponge that picks up things from our genetics, our upbringing, our environment and every thing else and the only things that can ever come out of it are the results of that?
>>
>>9109333

It's impossible to truly disprove what you're saying, and there have been arguments made for that sort of thing before, but to me it seems like the sheer breadth of human variety would preclude the mind arising deterministically from the factors around us. Still, the brain is very complex and poorly understood. It's possible. If it is the case, it probably depends on enough very tiny often-changing factors that it doesn't make much of a difference.

It's probably not something that we can know until we've fully mapped the consciousness onto the brain, and we're a hell of a long ways away from that.
>>
>>9109535
chaotic != nondeterministic
>>
File: slide_295928_2417592_original.jpg (879KB, 1942x3000px) Image search: [Google]
slide_295928_2417592_original.jpg
879KB, 1942x3000px
>>9109333
>all of our traits are the results of what was most fit for the environment
not really.
they are the result of what was most fit out of the space of possibilities of the random mutations that happened in our particular ancestral lines, not the best possible ones.
>>
>>9111048
We are the transition stage between chaos and order. Born out of the accidental quasi-order of chaos.
But we can create the
>best possible
organism, that is not limited to what probabilisic accidents spawned it, Artificial Intelligence!
>>
>>9111048
Well if you think about it our brain does work like that. Think of things like learning. Synaptic pruning. The blindman with excellent hearing. Your brain is actively selecting appropriate models for what it encounters in its environment most frequently. This is part of something called neural darwinism, from the nobel prize winning edelman.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.