[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't you make a space elevator with rocket engines

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1499122059654.jpg (15KB, 183x200px) Image search: [Google]
1499122059654.jpg
15KB, 183x200px
Why can't you make a space elevator with rocket engines interspersed vertically, holding it up, and fuel pumped up constantly though tubes?
>>
>>9107866
Better yet, why not put the rocket engines on platforms that carry the vehicle into space, like a real elevator. Better yet, why not just put the rocket engines on the vehicle? Boom, practical space elevator.
>>
File: 1476964175996.jpg (206KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1476964175996.jpg
206KB, 960x1280px
>>9107871
thanks retard you are the kind of retarded ugly nerd that makes sci so terrible

for the lower altitude engines, electricity could be used to power fans

the problem with not just making an elevator very long now is: even though centrifugal force can keep a station up, there is nothing strong enough to hold itself together up to such vast heights?

would the price of fueling such an elevator render flights to geosynchronous orbit unpractical? because with my design the height is unlimited...

there probably isnt nearly enough demand to warrant a project like this, but if one was trying to construct, say, an interstellar ship...
>>
>>9107871
actually, why not just use high pressure air pumped from the ground to keep it up? no need for rockets at all
>>
would not the air provide structural rigidity as well as thrust every few meters of so? with a big enough fan, people could just reverse skydive up into orbit; would drag from the inner surface of the tube be too much? would turbulence be a problem?
>>
>>9107893
Instead take the exhaust from a rocket and pump that into a self extending elevator.
>starts nuclear ramjet connected to an air compressor.
>>
>>9107955
what? rocket on top or bottom?

I was thinking like a 1 square mile base tapered up slowly with a power plant underneath feeding a massive series of super-high powered fans
>>
>>9107955
the reason it tapers is so air can be vented downwards to provide lift periodically on the vertical axis
>>
>>9107963
Stationary Rocket on earth with exhaust powering a self extending elevator frame. Possible or no?
>>
>>9107974
I don't know why you would use a rocket instead

but, I think yes; if you vented off a little velocity downwards every few meters or so
>>
>>9107886
So you're /sci/'s new resident schizo?
>>
>>9108041
what's wrong with my plan?
>>
>>9108046
You mean apart from it serving absolutely no purpose? The point of a space elevator is to not expend as much energy bringing cargo into space by having a load-bearing structure. If rockets are bearing the load then you are just spending the same energy you would use to propel the cargo via rocket + the weight of the structure. But why am I explaining this to a schizo? You are just going to ignore it and keep on being a schizo.
>>
>>9108078
idk how you can not read the very small number of posts in this thread in order to make an intelligible comment. at first i had the idea for rockets, and specifically asked if the economics were too bad to warrant doing it, i just asked, i didn't say it would

b) the design changed halfway through the thread to a electric fan system at the base with thrust vented downwards intermittently along the height of the tunnel.

energy is cheap compared to rocket fuel, and very cheap compared to rockets.

I am also not only asking if it is economically viable, although that is a side question

I am, in addition asking, if it is technically feasible.

you are a retarded human being and should kill yourself immediately before you embarrass yourself anymore, you are a lost cause you literal brainlet
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.