[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If Americans really are too retarded to change to the objectively

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1494996036422.png (16KB, 394x351px) Image search: [Google]
1494996036422.png
16KB, 394x351px
If Americans really are too retarded to change to the objectively superior metric system which NASA used to go to the moon, why doesn't the United States gradually and very slowly phase out the Imperial system for everything but speeds and distances?
They could start by making every new measurement instrument like measure cups require a metric scale next to the imperial scale to help people convert between and then over the next couple of decades phase out imperial and making metric the standard for measurements. Getting the help of the industry is also a plus.
>>
Measuring systems are arbitrary. It really doesn't matter which one we use so long as its internally consistent (measures based only on the human body are retarded and inconsistent, obviously).
>>
even though the metric system is superior it doesn't really matter which one you use almost 100% of the time so it's not really worth it to change it
>>
it doesnt fucking matter lmao
>>
>>9106947

^^^^
Tocqueville expressed the idea that Americans pursue higher education only for financial gains. In the 21st century the tertiary economy dominates (kids don't necessarily need to know any units of measurement to get by with an entry level job) thus there exists no incentive to change the status quo.

>>9107046
Here is my source of proof
>>
>>9106947

We do use metric, and our cups are metric/imperial. Hospitals and important institutions use metric, the imperial system is just something were taught in school and that the roadway system is having difficulty converting to. Cars typically have MPH and KMH though so it's nbd
>>
I find the imperial system is better for sloppy, imprecise measurements of things like outdoor temperature and weight. Maybe it's because I learned it before I learned to associate things with centigrade temperatures, but 95°F seems more intuitive to describe "really fucking hot" than 35°C, and I don't feel like I'm making a significant error if I add/remove 2-3°F whereas I know it's a significant error if I add/remove 2-3°C. Same with weight; 2-3lbs is irrelevant, but 2-3kg is significant.
>>
>>9107113
>imperial system is better for sloppy, imprecise measurements
imperial system is too much sloppy & imprecise.
>>
>>9107118
Like I said, I think it depends on what you're using it for. Obviously it never belongs in any kind of scientific setting.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.