[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't understand how dead downwind faster than the wind

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: ddw vehicle.jpg (193KB, 592x504px) Image search: [Google]
ddw vehicle.jpg
193KB, 592x504px
I don't understand how dead downwind faster than the wind works. I've seen people explaining it by saying the energy actually comes from the wheels, and the propeller is pushing the cart forward, but where does the excess energy come from that makes it go faster than the wind? I'm probably missing something but no idea what.
>>
>>9105537
Sounds like perpetual motion. It must have been explained wrong. This usually happens when the exlpainer him/herself doesn't understand the mechanics.
>>
wind turbine still works even if its attached to a car..

how do you think a sailboat works
>>
File: ddwfttw.jpg (5KB, 239x211px) Image search: [Google]
ddwfttw.jpg
5KB, 239x211px
>>9105537
>dead downwind faster than the wind works
and dead upwind faster than the wind works too
>>
>>9105537
> where does the excess energy come from that makes it go faster than the wind?

The energy required to move an object is dependant of the weight of this object. With the same amount of energy, a car will can way faster than a truck.
Air has a weigh: 1 liter of air at 1 bar weigh 1.2 grams (at sea level)

I don't known how they can go faster than the wind, but the energy is not the problem, there is plenty. The difficulty is to gather this energy.
>>
>>9105537
If you run downwind faster than the wind, the relative wind will be in the opposite direction.

This shit ain't happening.
>>
>>9107300
This would be similar to running in zero wind, off of the energy of the "wind" passing you because you are moving.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.