[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is only the first diode conducting (the diodes are assumed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: OR gate.jpg (11KB, 254x327px) Image search: [Google]
OR gate.jpg
11KB, 254x327px
Why is only the first diode conducting (the diodes are assumed to be ideal)?

This is from Sendra/Smith book, and I've found the solutions manual, but it only says 2 and 3 are off. I can't, for the life of me, figure out why. Searched around for similar problems, but there are only explanations with binary inputs, not like this.

Little nudge in the right direction please?
>>
>>9105191
If the points labelled +2V and +1V weren't blocked with diodes, the current would flow from +3V to them. Since they are blocked by ideal diodes, there is no current there. There is a +1V and +2V voltage jump from left to right over the diodes, respectively.
>>
>>9105191
Just found a guy on youtube on some obscure page doing this exact problem. He says if all of the diodes conducted, the point to the right of them would have indicisive voltage, so only one can conduct.

Why couldn't it be the sum of all voltages?

Am I right to think that if that point was 6V by summing the voltages, then the diodes wouldn't be foward biased, so they'd be off?
>>
>>9105200
Am I misinterpreting your explanation... Wouldnt that mean that the resulting voltage on the right side would be +6V?
>>
>>9105208
You are misinterpreting. The voltage on the right side is +3V.
Notice that the diodes do not have resistance, so there is no voltage jump in the topmost line.
>>
>>9105213
I think I understand. I also realized that if more than one diode was conducting, I would have different voltages in paralel, which is a violation of KVL. So only one can be ON, and it's going to be the highest voltage because of forward bias, or the other would turn ON as well. Am I right?

Thank you for helping me btw, I honestly appreciate it a lot.
>>
>>9105224
Yes, that is correct. Have a nice day.
>>
>>9105191
>Why is only the first diode conducting

Imagine if no diodes conducted, then all the diodes have positive voltage across them and some number of them will start conducting.

Imagine if the bottom diode conducted, then the voltage V will be 1v and the middle and top diodes will have positive voltage across them and some number of them will also start conducting.

Imagine if the middle diode conducted, then the voltage V will be 2v and the bottom diode would have a NEGATIVE voltage across it blocking conduction. The top diodes will have positive voltage across it and it will start conducting.

Finally imagine if the top diode conducted, then the voltage V will be 3v and the bottom and middle diodes would have a NEGATIVE voltage across them blocking conduction.

Clearly the top diode conducting is the long term steady state once all the signals finish propagating.
>>
>>9105205
>Why couldn't it be the sum of all voltages?

Voltages don't add in parallel like currents do. Didn't you learn basic circuit analysis?
>>
>>9105191
Imagine that the diodes are no there, and the voltage supplies are batteries.

If the batteries had the same voltage, there would be 3V across the resistor, an current would come out of all batteries.

Now, lets set the batteries to their original voltages. Some current would flow IN the 1 and 2 volt batteries, dropping the voltage at the (+) node.

Now, since the diodes are there, there is no voltage coming in the 1,2 volt batteries, but no current is coming out (no enough potential to overcome the 3V 's).

There
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.