[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What should i learn in order to be able to solve feynman diagrams??

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Feynman_diagram.png (6KB, 442x255px) Image search: [Google]
Feynman_diagram.png
6KB, 442x255px
What should i learn in order to be able to solve feynman diagrams??
I'm an undergrad EE student and i'm interested in that.
>>
>>9103840

Quantum Field Theory
>>
>>9103840
Griffiths has a good book for elementary particles that's for undergrad courses

you just follow a formula if you're not diving into quantum field theory

[spoiler alert] a lot of the feynman diagrams you'll encounter are divergent in their integrals for scattering amplitude
>>
>>9103840
What is this anyway?

Annihilation followed by pair production?
>>
>>9103881
pretty much
>>
>>9103840
What do you mean by solve? Be able to draw and complete them? 1st year introductory particle phys course, with the follow up for the more difficult ones. (Basically a solid paticle phys textbook will teach you enough to use and read them all)

If you ant to understand what they actually represent you're looking at mid to advanced QFT (perturbative solns to QFT) That'll take much longer. You'll need decent maths skills and prob a background knowledge in QM. David Tong QFT (google it) is probably the most straightforward set of QFT notes imp - though he does assume certain higher levels of mathematical background knowledge - though I was able to parse them w/o that
>>
>>9103879
>>9103924
I know they represent equations used to calculate probability amplitudes and other things.
I want to understand and be able to use them.
I'll look up these suggestions.
>>
>>9103988
the book our prof used was

https://www.amazon.ca/Introduction-Elementary-Particles-David-Griffiths/dp/3527406018

https://mikefragugliacom.files.wordpress.com/2016/12/introduction-to-elementary-particles-gnv64.pdf
>>
>>9103988
To understand and use you're basically at a working level on comprehension (for srs). All you need to learn after that is conservation laws and particle types w/ their properties. The actual QFT is very far removed from these graphs - to the point where when feynman was using them - just for his own visualisation - other people didnt think they could be a true representation of the underlying mathematical processes. I'm not trying to dissuade you more just pointing out that you might just be wasting your time learning stuff because "deeper understanding is cool/the right way" (desu im like that) but then come to realise it has no benefit for actual practical use.

To kind of put it in perspective theory phys at my uni only encountered it in half of a 10 credit (single term or ~22 lectures) module in 2nd year. There was an option to take particle phys in later years but few people took it. In our intro QFT course they were not even mentioned beyond the fact that we weren't covering them and that full QFT Feynman path integration & diags are typically done at PhD or post-doc level depending what you go into.extra work can be rewarding n all but I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction
>>
>>9103840
from the math side, you need to know linear algebra, integration of complex functions, PDEs, tensor algebra and functional analyses. physics you need to know (roughly in order) is Newtonian mechanics, Lagrangian mechanics, Hamiltonian mechanics, field theory (derivation of wave equation, propagators and so, basically covered by a classical electrodynamics cource), special realtivity, non relativistic QM (from Griffiths Introduction to Quantum Mechanics book for example), relativistic QM (from Relativistic Quantum Mechanics: Wave Equations), then you can do something like the first couple of chapters of Peskin/Schroeders An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory which shows you how to derive and calculate using the diagrams..

>>9104127
>full QFT Feynman path integration & diags are typically done at PhD or post-doc level
bullshit. maybe for the strong force, but QED level Feynman diagram derivation is done in the last year of undergrad at most universities.
>>
>>9104326
Shrug, at my uni it was only done in 4th year (undergrad masters) in particle and not treating it as a full QFT. We did upto the full interaction Hamiltonian but I dont think we did scattering matrices, only known people at other uni's to do it at PhD level. We moved onto many body bosonic and fermionic systems - though this may be because my uni is slanted towards cold matter
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.