[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When was the today's World map created? How was it created?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 3veg.gif (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
3veg.gif
3MB, 1280x720px
When was the today's World map created? How was it created?

I am curious about today's world map, our real world map. How was it created? Was it created before we went space? If yes, How?
>>
>>9100065
it was created by the same people who faked the moon landing, duh
>>
>>9100065
Do you know how a sextant works? Very basically: you can measure youre position on the planet with it just by looking at certain stars through a special tool.
So now it becomes easy: just travel along a coastline and measure youre position every now and then, and mark the positions on a blank map. Then combine the dots and you get the actual shape of the coast.

I have no idea if thats how they did it, but it seems like it would work pretty well assuming the sextant is good and the intervalls arent too long. Wind has to be pretty constant too but you could get around that by using oars...
>>
>>9100347
>just by looking at certain stars

Yeah, that's all. Piece of cake.
>>
>>9100347
they did use the sextant, among other things, but they also did some cartography before then using other techniques that varied a lot in accuracy
the magnetic compass was also important for making maps
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (1MB, 1911x1051px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
1MB, 1911x1051px
Sextants were of use limited pretty much to latitude until the early 1700s, when chronometers enabled their use in finding longitude.

For mapping coastlines, compass and speed readings from reasonably well-determined locations were the best available science.

Here's a portion of a state of the art world map from the early 1700s.
>>
See http://www.icsm.gov.au/mapping/map_projections.html
(One of?) The first of modern world maps was created in 1963. According to Wikipedia, first satellite photographs of earth were taken in 1959, so the first version was probably based on those. After that, numerous similar projections have sprung up and I can't personally differentiate most. The newer ones are all based on satellite imagery.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.