/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is time considered the 4th dimension? it doesn't make

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: daledolph.png (71KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
daledolph.png
71KB, 256x256px
Why is time considered the 4th dimension? it doesn't make sense. Why would the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd dimensions be meters, meters squared, a meters cubed but the 4th be a completely different type of unit instead of meters to the 4th power?
>>
>>9099985
What else is at right angles to the other three dimensions?
>>
>>9099988
are you saying time is?
>>
>>9099985
because you look at relativity with time as the 4th dimension

that is to say 3 spatial dimensions with time being your 4th

if you know about inner products then the minkowski metric is what you use for a lot of inner products in physics
>>
>>9099993
Just considering alternatives. Slice a sphere, you get a circle. Slice a circle, you get a point. What would you have to slice to get a sphere?
>>
>>9099985
/sci/ is gay.
>>
>>9100001
almost

shout out to
>>9100000
>>
>>9099998
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypersphere

Jesus buddy.
>>
>>9099998
>Slice a circle, you get a point.
?
>>
>>9100039
I would think you would get a line after slicing a circle, using his example. Not sure where he got point from
>>
internet is the 4th dimention
>>
>>9100049
You can always get a point slicing a circle. Or a sphere.

You just need to slice it along the very edge (or edge analogous)
>>
>>9099985
Because we exist within it and can't model it from the outside.
>>
>>9100049
They aren't talking about Euclidean space, that's all.
>>
>>9099985
It's just a nice way of representing time, thinking of motion as a 4D transformation. I don't really get how it would be a different kind of unit?
>>
File: ra.jpg (139KB, 634x849px) Image search: [Google]
ra.jpg
139KB, 634x849px
>be a completely different type of unit
you can measure length in time units, just multiply by the speed of light c.
>>
>>9099998
My dick
>>
>>9101674
/thread
op read any decent textbook on special relativity it will explain this concept
>>
File: a5.png (193KB, 733x600px) Image search: [Google]
a5.png
193KB, 733x600px
>>9099985
There's no reason you can't use meters to the 4th power as a way of measuring time. Just because people usually don't doesn't mean time can't be thought of in that way.
Put a bunch of points next to each other in one dimension and you get a line, put a bunch of lines next to each other in another dimension and you get a rectangle, put a bunch of rectangles next to each other in another dimension and you get a box, and put a bunch of boxes together in yet another dimension and you get a box history.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.