[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ayyyy boy I got a nice lil problem for ya here I'm tryi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

ayyyy boy
I got a nice lil problem for ya here
I'm trying to compute https://projecteuler.net/problem=572
and i did a naive solution just to grasp the problem (pic related). Now I am going to try to optimize it. I'm planning on limiting the space of potential matrices by using the fact that for an idempotent matrix A, tr(A) = rank(A), and since the rank(A) is between 0 and 3, I would solve the diophantine equation x11+x22+x33 = [0,3], thus limiting my potential solution pool.
Any other ideas?
>>
>other ideas
write them out by hand
>>
>>9098918
Rank can't be three unless the matrix is the identity. The matrix is singular or the identity.
>>
>>9098918
>https://projecteuler.net/problem=572
I would just look at how other people solved it. If you don't know already, their solutions will teach you.
>>
bump for interest.

Rank zero can easily be handled. rank 1 will simplify the problem down to 5 variables or so, I think.

roughly

a b c
k*a k*b k*c
j*a j*b j*c

maybe Groebner basis stufff would help? I'm sure there is a trick though. There always is with these Euler problems.
>>
>>9098918
Do your own fucking homework.
>>
>>9099540

Look at the top left corner, and get

a = 1/2 (1 +/- sqrt(-4 b d - 4 c g + 1))

the discriminant must be a perfect square, and that cuts it down a lot, I think. You can also easily solve for a few of the variables.

>>9099545
unlikely to be homework
>>
>>9098918
Groebner basis of course won't help at all since we are not working in R or C. We are looking for projections. What is a projection? It has only eigenvalues 1 or 0 and always a trivial jordan decomposition ( diagonalizable ).

so the possible eigenvalues are all combinations of 0 and 1. (0,0,0),(1,0,0),(1,1,0),(1,1,1)

You can extend the trace idea if you know this newton identity sum of diagonal elements power k is the sum of k powered eigenvalues, so for exponent 2 should give the same since 1^k and 0^k neither change with k > 0.
>>
>>9099540
The zero matrix is the only solution in the rank 0 case. The identity is the only solution in the rank 3 case. If A is idempotent, then so is I-A, and 3-trace(A)=trace(I-A), so there are the same number of rank 1 and rank 2 solutions. So we are left with counting the rank 1 solutions.

We can assume A = u v' where u and v are 3 by 1 vectors. Then A*A=A tells us v' u = 1.

I think you can argue that u and v must be just integers. That and the bounds on the elements may be enough.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.