[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If someone were to solve one of the millenium prize problems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: 41G389VN38L[1].jpg (29KB, 358x500px) Image search: [Google]
41G389VN38L[1].jpg
29KB, 358x500px
If someone were to solve one of the millenium prize problems using an end-to-end automated theorem prover, would they still win the prize?

The rules state that a prize will not be awarded if the person has not "made a major personal contribution to the understanding of the field of the problem". Simply generating a proof that may be too complex to be understood by humans would not really contribute to any understanding.

http://www.claymath.org/millennium-problems
>>
None of the millennium prize problems could be brute forced by a computer. You're barking up the wrong tree.
>>
>>9092038
Wouldn't the theorem prover be a contribution?
>>
>>9092049
>None of the millennium prize problems could be brute forced by a computer.
Based on the current state of the art sure, but you don't know what kind of related theorems might be known in the future.
>>
>>9092038
I hope not. If we have been able to prove so much shit by just using words and brainpower then using computers to write our proofs would make math 100% boring.

This also ties in with a professor of mine who says that the four color theorem remains unproven kek.
>>
>>9092038
Making an end-to-end automated theorem prover to prove millenium problems would probably be harder than solving them directly
>>
>>9092049
You realize one of them essentially was, right?
>>
>>9092049
>None of the millennium prize problems could be brute forced by a computer. You're barking up the wrong tree.
Why do undergrads post like this, completely just speaking out of their ass?
>>
File: 1440233468118.jpg (61KB, 465x512px) Image search: [Google]
1440233468118.jpg
61KB, 465x512px
>cs fags think they'll be bale to prove theorems mathematicians cant
>>
File: 1501665782993.png (57KB, 327x137px) Image search: [Google]
1501665782993.png
57KB, 327x137px
>>9092049
how does it feel to be this retarded https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poincar%C3%A9_conjecture
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.