[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone on here know what I can do to the function in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: helpmesci.png (30KB, 559x640px) Image search: [Google]
helpmesci.png
30KB, 559x640px
Does anyone on here know what I can do to the function in the image above (graphed in orange) to make it look more like the function graphed in black, or in an extreme case, graphed as blue?
I just want to model the graph from the bottom of the picture, and I'm close, the only thing I need is to make it "steeper".
>>
File: helpmesci2.png (23KB, 735x247px) Image search: [Google]
helpmesci2.png
23KB, 735x247px
Alternatively (it's the same problem), I need to find a way to make the graph in orange here more like the graph in blue, black, or as a ridiculously extreme case, red.

Please /sci/ I need your help ;_;
>>
Is there an exponential fit equivalent to the polynomial fit? Because the polynomial fit doesn't work for shit in this case and this appears to be all exponentials with constants somewhere I don't know where and what amount.
>>
I think the black part looks like a logistic sigmoid
>>
>>9090621
Thanks a lot!
>logistic and sigmoid
What's the difference between both? This seems to be close though, so very appreciated.
>>
Oh, and is there a way to make the logistic/sigmoid function reach the point 1 when x=0, and 0 when x=1 (instead of it going into infinity without ever reaching 0 nor 1)?
>>
File: soclose.png (43KB, 1047x463px) Image search: [Google]
soclose.png
43KB, 1047x463px
I'm so close! How to I fix the last segment though?
>>
>>9090351
Find a separate equation that precisely matches the delta of your desired graph and the displayed graph, then add the two together. The result should be precisely what you want.
>>
Bump for this
>>9090673
>>9090653
>>
Guys, please, I need help with this ;_; >>9090673
>>
>>9090673
>>9091754
Why not just use some interpolation routine?
>>
>>9090351
Step function
>>
>>9090351

Use a sigmoid. Steeper sigmoids use a higher value in the exponent. Try playing with this:

[math] \frac{1}{1 + e^{-x}} [/math]

Just raise the value of [math] x [/math] until you are satisfied.
>>
>>9091822
I already tried that, but it leaves me with this >>9090673, so I need to find a way to "accelerate" the Xs or "attenuate" the Ys towards the end.

>>9091786
How is that different from polynomial fit?
>>
>>9091830

Where are your measurements coming from ? Nature ? Simulation ? Back of a cereal box ?
>>
>>9091840
It's difficult to explain. Why?
Values go from (1,0) to (0,1) though.
>>
>>9091845

Certain data lends certain fits. Population dynamics appreciates sigmoidals and logistic curves, where as studying solar activity might be more sinusoidal.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.