[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are /sci/'s thoughts on this? Basically the argument

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

What are /sci/'s thoughts on this? Basically the argument is that mutation and natural selection can't account for a lot of the things we see in biology and uses sources to argue that organism self gene regulation is just as important.
>>
>>9090179
>mutation and natural selection
There is a lot more to these things than first surmised. Evolution is still being refined today, it will continue. Unless this person is familiar with the latest work, I doubt this book will be insightful. More likely it will largely be born from ignorance of what Evolution is.
>>
>>9090179
>evolution

brainlets claim humans came from amoebas

yeah right lets see the evidence, oh it doesnt exist
>>
>>9090179
>https://aeon.co/essays/on-epigenetics-we-need-both-darwin-s-and-lamarck-s-theories
>>
>>9090729
religiotard detected
>>
>>9090750
ill wait for the evidence that links amoebas and eukaryotes

IT DOEST EXIST

well uhh well they evolved but uh we dont have the evidence and uhh evolution is true you religious nut!

k thanks
>>
File: moleymoleymoley.jpg (23KB, 639x351px) Image search: [Google]
moleymoleymoley.jpg
23KB, 639x351px
>>9090764
Let me guess....your favourite god does not require any evidence, right?
>>
>>9090764
Try sodium potassium pumps you dumb fuck
>>
>>9090179
he misspelled EVILolution
>>
>>9090764
Turns out amoebas are eukaryotes! Evidence has been found. Do not called people brainlets if you dont even know the fucking definition of a eukaryote.
>>
I mean isn't it obvious with modern understanding of epigenetics that a more lamarkian perspective can account for most of it

plus I don't see the intelligent design hypothesis to be mutually exclusive with our current description of evolution

i.e.
>be god
>want to create a world
>want to create sentient beings
>"hmmm what if I made initial conditions at some value with some constants and let a simulation run"
>"then iterate it until what I want appears"
>oh look it took 13.6 billion years

seems like if you wanted to make sentient beings the universe is a pretty good how-to
>>
>>9090768
Not him and actually I believe in evolution but indeed my lord does not require any evidence beyond the simplest empirical observation that there is space.
I worship the space which matter occupies as a god
>>
>>9091675
No, its isnt, you ignorant piece of shit. We can traces changes in genetic code as evidence of evolution, we do this all the time. This is how we've established all of the phylogeneeic relationships that we have.

Epigenetics is operating on the framework DNA provides withput changing the genetic code. Yes, it influences protein expeession and function, but it does nothing like what mutation does. Not just that, but even a lamarckian version of evolution (which epienetics still ISNT) doesnt do anything to provide evidence for your made up god.

Believe whatever you want, the consensus amongst scientists is that your opinion is stupid. Keep your religion out of science, it doesnt and never will have a place there again.Unlike pre-enlightenment times, the church can no longer meddle with the emergent truth of science. Fuck you, idiot.
>>
File: 1280.jpg (225KB, 1169x500px) Image search: [Google]
1280.jpg
225KB, 1169x500px
>>9091675
>>9092024
Right, epigenetics plays out in gene expression. Some amount of epigenetics is inheritable as well. You could make an argument about, say, people with better fat metabolism expression having better chances of natural selection, thus leading to a population with better ability to activate or deactivate certain genes related to fat metabolism. But it doesn't really select for anything that's not already in the genome. It's a big mistake to invoke Lamarck at any point because the genes themselves don't change in response to environmental pressures.
>>
>>9092102
>>9092024

hmmm but there are at least some instances where the genome is actually changed

i.e. the studies where they shock mice and pair it with a unique smell, then those mice reproduce, and then those mice reproduce, and then they release the smell and the multiple generations down mice with no exposure to the smell or the original scared mice have a fear response. there's no way that could happen unless the actual genome of was literally altered, not just changes in expression.

also no need to get so triggered about the possibility of a simulator lol whats ur explanation silly hurrrr we cant know anything big bag everything out of nothing

I bet ur a really fun and creative person :^)
>>
>>9092102
>>9092024
>>9092117

also here is an article about the study(s) I'm referring to

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn24677-fear-of-a-smell-can-be-passed-down-several-generations/
>>
>>9092123
The article is a good example of inherited epigenetics
>DNA sequencing of sperm from the grandfather mice and their sons also revealed epigenetic marks on the gene encoding M71 that weren’t seen in control mice.
So we know gene expression can be passed down because of environmental pressures, but there is no indication that genes themselves change.
>>
>>9092201

gene expression is still regulated by the genome lol

how does it get inherited if it isn't somehow recorded in the genome
>>
>>9090179
>(((Shapiro)))
>>
boobsmp
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.