[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In group therapy today, I tried explaining that mental illness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1501646958618.jpg (17KB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
1501646958618.jpg
17KB, 400x500px
In group therapy today, I tried explaining that mental illness can be more than just 'serotonin machine broke'. Individualization of these issues says nothing about their causation. If it is true, for instance, that depression is constituted by low serotonin levels, what still needs to be explained is why particular individuals have low levels of serotonin.
Everyone looked at me like I was speaking in tongues. I tried to explain to them that mental illness has been individuated to the person with the illness (YOUR chemicals are imbalanced), leaving no room for the fact that there may be bigger, problematic, social/political/economic issues at play here. >feeling sad
>>
nice blogpost
>>
They were like, you mean like corruption. I'm like no that has nothing to do with corruption,and then was told it does no good to think about those things, baka.
>>
The mentally ill are just a cash cow for the big pharma companies they should all be gassed en masse.

t. actual schizophrenic
>>
>>9080508
>schizophrenic has paranoid delusions

it adds up
>>
I have depression. I've heard different explanations of it and I tend to believe that the chemical imbalance is only an outward physical expression of a deeper problem.

I agree with everything you said other than the political part, do you profusely study politics and have a fairly extensive knowledge about everything that's going on? Would you do pretty well if you were asked random trivia questions about government, or current wars or foreign affairs?
If not, then I'd probably just accuse you of following the current trend of our generation of blaming your problems on external forces you can't control.

Anyway, one theory I've heard that I lean towards is that it's a long-term effect of a regressive method of coping with problems.
In my case ever since childhood I never really fit in with my peers, and I also struggled in school because my mind is really hyper-active. I escaped from harsh reality through fantasy worlds in different forms, and eventually that started to work very well for me, even when my life was total shit I didn't mind too much because I know that soon I could go back to my video game, or tv show, or chinese cartoon internet forum, and that would become my reality and everything else would fade into the background.
But eventually a time came when I had to come to grips with the real world, and that forced me to really look at everything in my life for what it was, which lead to the climax of my depression where I looked for a core motive for doing anything or existing at all and couldn't find anything.
>>
>>9080542
Your life story sounds really generic and typical of a lot of people, with the exception that plenty of people follow that exact path and don't end up depressed.

Anybody, in any situation, can end up with depression. It isn't special to people who were nerdy as kids or who like anime. It makes more sense that it's just a chemical problem, given how it effects people in seemingly unrelated situations
>>
>>9080508
I agree. It's better for ourselves and for normal humans.
>>
>>9080537
hes right tho
>>
>>9080563
well yeah, it's not as simple as escapism. It was more associated with my existential crisis and attempting to comprehend infinity.
It definitely depends on the individual's mind. Like, for most people if you asked what their core motivation for anything and everything they do is they probably wouldn't give a specific answer, they just avoid thinking about it and live in bliss. I think it has something to do with that.
>>
>>9080493
>I tried explaining that mental illness can be more than just 'serotonin machine broke'
>tried explaining
From the first sentence it is apparent what results you got. People don't get it, and it's very uncomfortable and inconvenient for them to confront mental issues as anything other than a magical hard mechanical failure that is ever so mysterious and "just is", unless, drugs. Nuance is harder, taking into account the genesis of a given pathological state, factors that feed into it and possibly maintaining it, and from all this, the ways you're able to interface with a given system to change its state over time, is just too much.

A few factors I've seen play in are pseudo-security via (group) identity, ie, "I have x" "I am a X, therefore, I Y, so...". And applied crowd psychology / cultural engineering to guarantee a given demographic remains an active market to feed on, right now that generally means telling them in so many words that they're broken for life, might have been destined to be this way from early on, and will likely struggle the rest of their life but can be normal and happy and functional with the right "treatment" :^). The other side of that scam is saying a given drug can be used "just to help you get on your feet and sort out your real issues". They rarely if ever do, their outcomes are often little better than placebo, and there are numerous side effects which vary per drug.

It's a mess. Once you get a mess, programming, and strong emotions, it's all over and the slightest overall cultural drift, even if it's towards the clearer truth, takes several decades.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.