[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Research scientists and specifically mathematicians of /sci/,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_2175.jpg (2MB, 3000x2068px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2175.jpg
2MB, 3000x2068px
Research scientists and specifically mathematicians of /sci/, what motivates you?

Is it the process or the reward?

Do you genuinely enjoy doing math, or just enjoy discovering a new theorem or result?
>>
so I can make fun of brainlets on a cantonese laundry board
>>
>>9079665
I enjoy immersing myself in the math. I completely zone out and study math for hours on end when I'm onto something, and it's a very peaceful experience.
>>
>>9079665
You see... I was a young boy. I was probably... six at the time. I did not have a care in the world. I liked to watch cartoons and super heros but then one day my mom took me to a weird place. This place was full of kids my age but there was something very different about them. I could not tell but I could simply feel it. My mom had gone there to talk to a woman and then this woman handed me a piece of paper. She said it was test for me and I just had to pick the best option in each problem. I did without much thought about what was happening and at the end she told my mom this one number: 165. You all know what I'm talking about. After this day I stopped going to school, I was not allowed to. I stopped watching cartoons because again, I was not allowed to. I now always went to this building to meet my tutor. He taught me math. I was ten and I already knew the fundamental theorem of calculus. Then they took me to competitions. USAMO, IMO... I've been in them all. I still have my medals but I do not like looking at them anymore. I hide them in my house. Anyways, after this I was taken to college. 14. Four fucking teen and doing topology. I thought it was cool. Hell, perhaps it was cool. Obviously now that I was in college I could not attend competitions anymore. Well, it is not like I wanted but at least the competitions gave me a false sensation of safety that I lack today. But anyways, college went by and I got my PhD. In the time all of this happened my parents divorced because my dad never wanted any of this for me. He wanted me to be a normal kid. He said my mom forced me to a life of misery and she could not take it so she left him. Then from the divorce proceedings my dad lost everything and I killed himself. All while I was abroad and did not know shit about anything that was going on. Anyways, I got my fucking degree. My whore of a mother got to brag on her facebook about her prodigy son one last time so I guess she won that battle huh.
cont.
>>
>>9079712
Cont:
I cut all my ties with that bitch. I wanted nothing to do with her anymore. I had my degree anyways so that meant I could get a job so I did. Assistant professor at a good university. It was cool, I did some research with people I thought I liked. I discovered things I thought I cared for. But then I turned 30 and it was clear I was going nowhere. Every day I woke up and did the same thing. Talked to the same people. Read the same journals. I was already a full time professor by now with a strong standing at my university so I thought maybe I could relax now. I thought that maybe I should do something new. Play videogames, play an instrument perhaps. I did try all those things but it was weird.

I am so good at mathematics. I can impress people without even trying. I impressed people all my life without even trying. But now with these new things I always felt so fucking mediocre. I can't be the best at playing the fucking piano. The quick reward I had been used to for all my life simply was there. I was addicted to recognition. Not only that, I was addicted to quick recognition. I can't anything now because math is all know right. Math is the only thing that can fill that hole my whore mother fucking drilled in my heart.

So that is what I do. I am able to mix it up. Cocaine, shitposting and anime. At least there is no price for who can take more drugs so I can do them without expecting recognition. The same with anime and shitposting. But I have to pay the bills. I have department administrator cock to suck to keep my position. I have a fucking quota to fill. So that is why I do math. A cocaine addiction ain't fucking cheap after all, so I guess I have no option but to keep doing math. At least I am good at it. At least I can do it without thinking.
>>
File: wallhaven-42728.jpg (104KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wallhaven-42728.jpg
104KB, 1920x1080px
>>9079665
I'm just a filthy engineer, and pic related
>>
>>9079665
Nice thread, great reddit spacing.
Upvoted.
>>
>>9079665
I have delusions about transhumanism. It keeps me motivated.
>>
>>9079720

well nice short story bros
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.