[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

stupid sci-fi question here every 2 bit sci-fi show has ships

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: latest.png (882KB, 950x827px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
882KB, 950x827px
stupid sci-fi question here

every 2 bit sci-fi show has ships and shit with powered shields to defend against energy weapons. why do the energy weapons damage the shields instead of providing more power to the shields?
>>
>>9079057
Could be similar to a matter/antimatter reaction, or the shield's wave function destructively interferes with the weapon.
I have seen at least one sci-fi shield where the shield did increase in energy, and had to be turned off to vent energy if it absorbed too much.
>>
>>9079057
how do you know it damages it? Maybe it just makes it more and more unstable to the point that it can no longer hold itself.
>>
>>9079057
Maybe just the same idea of an energy surge destroying any type of electronic equipment?
>>
>>9079057
Depends on the media. In Star Trek shield technology is basically full bullshit. In Star Wars they have two separate forms of shields. I don't remember what they first is called but it blocks matter - we could do that with plasma; the second are "rays shields" which block light waves, which is also bullshit. If you hit a plasma shield with a projectile (physical only - including plasma), you destabilize the field momentarily, but it SHOULD immediately regenerate after the projectile has been blocked. The amount of "shields" you have left would be related to how much matter you have left in the chamber to heat into plasma for the shields.
>>
>>9079161
So in summary, the answer to your question is literally just "that's how the author wanted it to be".
>>
>>9079057
It's science. Ain't have to explain shit
>>
>>9079057
Adding energy to a system can have catastrophic effects on the equipment generating the shields. There would have to be some sort of thermal overload protection to prevent your magic shield generator from overamping and melting down.
>>
>>9079057
obviously author doesn't have to justify shit with his shields.

a popular non-handwaved by "magic particles" or "electromagnetic resonance" interpretation is the one where the shield generator does some magnet wizardry to deflect ionized gas/photons and the shield is invisible besides the cloud of plasma that flows around the ship and builds up from taking hits.

something something overloading the system and you can't really recover energy from it.
>>
My idea for shields is some sort of laser or plasma based point defense, each projection would require a huge capacitor dump meaning you can only stop so many projectiles.
>>
Shields work by dispersing energy coming from outside. The simple fact is that weapons don't add power to shields because that's not how they work. Envision an energy version of ablative armor that can regenerate. Some shows have tricks like polarity reversals that allow shields to absorb energy but that interaction is often predicated on configuring the shields to the exact energy profile of the incoming fire and altering the frequency of the weapon fire invalidates that trick.
>>
>>9080114
>anti-energy point defense
i...actually really like that idea for some reason
>>
>>9080123
Personal units would be a backpack with 6 huge capacitors on it, it'll save your life six times. After that you're done.
>>
File: better question.jpg (87KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
better question.jpg
87KB, 600x375px
>>9079057
Lazy fiction and drama, obviously (and better vidya game mechanics). While it'd be a hard trick to create an energy blocking field, and then shunt that energy back into the generator, I can't think of any reason a shield would steadily deplete over time as it absorbed energy. It might be possible to bypass it and heat up the inside with too much energy at once, but I think that'd be about it.

BETTER QUESTION:
Nevermind how or why it works... Can you think of a way to design an anti-energy shield that *would* behave this way?
>>
>>9080114
Brings back childhood memories of this, for some reason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdBfRYHCy5k

(Every bit as magi-tech as Star Trek shields in this case though.)
>>
>>9079057
you know what the fi in sci-fi stands for right? FICTION!
>>
>>9079057
Because the energy is in a matter like state meaning it behaves like matter.
>>
Probably so there will be dramatic tension. Otherwise all ships would be invincible, and would be boring to watch.
>>
>>9080186
Well, they wouldn't be invincible. You could only power the shield for so long, and it could only repel so much force, and it might repel some things but not others. There's also always internal sabotage, which makes for plenty of drama.

"The shields draining" is a count-down timer, which is a classic lazy drama device.

In a few sci-fi, though, I suppose you have 'deflectors' that only seem to reduce damage and not mitigate it completely, the ship they are protecting usually being destroyed before they are.

Even in shows with no shields at all though, you usually get another brand of count-down timer, such as "hull integrity" or "armor plating".
>>
>>9079161
Any technical data from Star Wars should be entirely ignored. It manages to be worse than 40K.
>>
>>9080134
>>9080114
I'd think of it like an external armor layer that is held in place with electromagnetic fields. Spray out mass that your electromagnet control system orients and holds relative to the ship. Lasers get scattered, high velocity projectiles disintegrate into plasma (and the electromagnets fill the hole relatively quickly).

Low velocity, high mass projectiles might penetrate the shield with only a small momentum change.

It would work kind of like the shields in Dune, minus the part where lasers make Dune shields explode.
>>
>>9080186
Shields are the HP-bar literary device of Sci-Fi.

Only 10% shield left, we're almost dead! (despite having no internal damage worth mentioning).
>>
>>9080191
>Even in shows with no shields at all though, you usually get another brand of count-down timer, such as "hull integrity" or "armor plating".

this to me is more believable and in line with current technology. flood compartments, armor belts, and double hulls are common in ships, though space ships would probably have more in common with submarines than surface ships. depth charges work by compromising hull integrity and using the water pressure to break up the sub, in space though it would be the internal pressure pushing out.
>>
>>9080212
Yeah and a real life space battle would just be drones and missile swarms, putting humans into a ship would cost too much and make the ship perform worse. A human vessel would get wrecked by drones every time.
>>
>>9080203
You do eventually get to magi-tech levels where the energy you're tossing about would destroy any matter in an instant, sometimes even in a nice chain reactive fashion. At that point, if your shields go down, you are dead.

Granted, maybe Star Trek isn't quite there yet, as every time their shields go down, they manage to take several more punches without even all being terminally irradiated. I suppose they do have a secondary set of shields for holding the ship together and navigation though.

>>9080225
Gotta transport humans around at some point though. (Well, you don't gotta, but ya probably wanna.)

But yeah, drone on drone battles are boring. Though, at least in Star Trek's case, they are often faced with them, and the Enterprise itself has an excuse for having a crew, even if some of its opponents don't.
>>
>>9080212
Hull integrity is worthless when given as a % number, instead it should be system damage.
>>
>>9080157
perhaps one that bent space so that incoming energy is routed around the vessel? i'm thinking something like mass effect's element zero. the energy depletion wouldn't come from the incoming energy exactly, more from the strain of having to keep the shields activated.
>>
File: blade-runner-rutger-hauer.jpg (20KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
blade-runner-rutger-hauer.jpg
20KB, 600x300px
>>9080225
but drones wouldn't care about seeing attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion
>>
>>9080288
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IspL2HMT9y8
>>
>>9080274
I always understood that hull integrity is maintained by force fields and electromagnetic currents running through the ship. A failure of hull integrity means the mechanisms in place can just no longer counter the forces at work in the hull, either because they're overwhelmed by damage, or the conduits that allow energy to pass to core sections are destroyed.

>>9080203
In star trek federation ships lack armor plating following from the vulcan doctrine of shields. Klingon ships are mostly armored by contrast and outside of plot holed scenarios like Gorkon's assassination on Kronos One are intended to take several direct hits to the hull and remain in fighting shape. Which Kronos One arguably did after the systems came back online. Compare it to the Reliant in Wrath of Khan where a single photon torpedo ripped through the reliant's saucer section, and the reliant's phasers ripped through the enterprise's engineering section.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.