[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, /diy/ here. Was wondering if someone with chem knowledge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: bottle.jpg (227KB, 1482x691px) Image search: [Google]
bottle.jpg
227KB, 1482x691px
Hey guys, /diy/ here. Was wondering if someone with chem knowledge could help me troubleshoot a project of mine.

I started making these little bottle necklaces filled with glitter glue a couple of years ago. My problem is that the glue inside keeps drying out, no matter how well glue the cork into the opening (using epoxy glue). Pic shows before and after (about a year between the two).

It occurred to me at some point that air might be seeping in through the top of the cork, so I tried coating the bottom half of the cork with hot glue. That didn't work, so I tried doing the same with epoxy. That didn't help either. I'm confused, because the glitter glues that I haven't used--packaged in little plastic tubes--are perfectly fine, and their lids don't even seem to be airtight.

Anybody have any idea why this is happening? Is it inevitable? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
>>
Weigh them too see if any is escaping, or if it's just more dense now.
>>
>>9079485
Good idea. Hmm, I'll need to get my hands on a small enough scale...
>>
>>9078939
Sad bottle is sad
>>
>>9078939
Are you a girl?
>>
>>9078939
How big are your breasts?
>>
>>9080697
>>9080700
Is this board always this thirsty?
>>
>>9081668
welcome to 4chan, enjoy your stay
>>
>>9081668
you must be new
>>
Cork alone doesn't perfectly block air flow. That's the reason why wine is stored upside down; the liquid against the cork gives a better seal, whereas if you just have it with the cork up air can get in and it makes the wine go bad.

I'm not sure the exact reason, but basically a "dry" cork isn't as airtight as a "wet" cork. I suggest looking up stuff about wine storage
>>
>>9081720
Right, from what I understand corks are porous. I coated the bottoms though, and like I said that didn't do anything. Is it possible for the air to be passing through the hot glue/epoxy as well? It just doesn't make any sense.

I suppose there could be a spot I missed, but I'm really meticulous with it. My last few attempts, I just kinda slathered the whole bottom two thirds of the cork in epoxy right before pushing it into the bottle. I should have a pic somewhere of the cork before sealing but I can't seem to find it (I do document this stuff real well). Gonna keep looking, I'll post it if I find it.
>>
>>9082548

Could be wrong but the exposure to air during the transfer could be enough to irreversibly set off the curing process.

Maybe try transfer without exposing the glue somehow, a syringe may do it although i dont know how you would avoid exposure in the new cotainer.

If the glitter glue is just for decoration why not make your own with glitter and glycerin?
>>
File: elmer's glitter glue.jpg (79KB, 520x520px) Image search: [Google]
elmer's glitter glue.jpg
79KB, 520x520px
>>9082566
>Could be wrong but the exposure to air during the transfer could be enough to irreversibly set off the curing process.
Well, I dunno, I seem to recall that the tubes that they come in are not filled completely to the top. That is, they have some air in there to begin with.

...I think..? Pic is the exact product I'm using. Damn it, now I'm questioning whether I remember right, it does look like from there that they're all filled to the top. I can say with near-certainty, though, that the tubes I haven't used are at present NOT completely filled (I bought these things like two years ago or something). Lemme go dig 'em up and double-check.

>If the glitter glue is just for decoration why not make your own with glitter and glycerin?
Lol, because I exclusively choose to pursue projects that present me with impossible obstacles such as this.

But no, I have made another bottle using not glycerin, but baby oil as a base, and unfortunately it looks like it is vulnerable to the same affliction as the glue-filled ones. I wonder if that's a clue? That the innards keep disappearing regardless of what they're made of? Guess I should've mentioned that earlier on. (I'll go look for that bottle too.)

Not to mention that there are a bunch of really cool holographic varieties among this set that I particularly like. In other words, I saw some of the colours in it and got inspired, and bought it with the sole intention of making jewelry from those colours.
>>
>>9078939
The answer is simple, water is being lost some how. This could be due to the cork being porous. Water can also diffuse through some plastics given time.

Now it seems you are trying to make something with glitter suspended in it, you should use clear resin.
>>
Couple of things:
The bottle is filled with air which can react over and over again
Could also be moisture sensitive
Sensitive to uv light
Sensitive to temperature

If we're talking about adhesives we're talking about polymers. Polymers don't play well with a lot of things.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.