[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /sci/ focus. I need some advice guys, I really feel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: 1499973422130.jpg (50KB, 406x364px) Image search: [Google]
1499973422130.jpg
50KB, 406x364px
How does /sci/ focus.

I need some advice guys, I really feel like shit right now, I know that I easily process information and that's why I let everything to the last minute.

The problem is that I failed my exams because of that.

I am really hoping for real advice.

Whay kind of music should I listen to while studying.

I tried binaurals sounds (share if you have good ones) it does really work, but my heartbeat increase really fast idk if it's good ?

Should I drink tea to relax.

I really need to hyper, laser focus at least 5 hours a day, that would be more than excellent.
>>
>>9078791
You don't process information really fast, that's why you failed your exams

Just look up pomodoro method. Build the discipline of high focus for 3-4 hours at a time by starting with just 1 hour of high focus. It's like a muscle, you have to build it up. It's not an easy fix, it's discipline. Also you procrastinate because you're scared you won't be as smart as you think you are, because studying involves trying and nothing is more humiliating to you than trying your best and failing anyway.

Now fuck off
>>
Unplug yourself from social media, of other people. Listen to your own brain and don't try and force it if it doesn't want to. Find solace in its own limitations and work with them, not against them to achieve equilibrium.
>>
File: WHAT?!.png (9KB, 841x108px) Image search: [Google]
WHAT?!.png
9KB, 841x108px
>>9078791
read only canonical books
>rudin
>lang
>spivak
>munkres
>ahlfors
>hartshorne
>atiyah macdonald
>hoffman kunze
>>
>>9078791
have you ever had a job? Treat studying like a job. Schedule time for it, and don't leave until that time is up. It's just discipline.

>I know that I easily process information and that's why I let everything to the last minute.
if that were true, then
>The problem is that I failed my exams because of that.
would have never happened.
>>
>>9078792
>>9078802

You seem to be right, maybe I'm just scared not to be as good as I thought.

I really like when people say me the truth that I didn't (wanted to) see, like you both did.

"Ça me notive de me faite seccouer"

I really got motivated right now
Wtf
>>
Hey OP,
I felt like you until I fucked up my semester.
>Read the book Deep Work by Cal Newport.
Explains the value of working "deeply" as he calls it. What it really boils down to is just busting your intellectual nuts all over the place. He also explains how and why social media damages your ability to focus. I strongly recommend you read that book. I wish someone had made me read it before I ever started being serious about my academics.
>Don't fucking listen to music while you study.
Just fucking stop it anon. Sure you can listen to bineural whatevers, but the temptation is there for me to play music I like. I don't think our willpowers are drastically different because it sounds like we've both had our intellectual trip-and-falls.
>Write your day down before it begins, and edit it as you go.
I have a special notebook (nothing fancy, it just has this one purpose) that I use to write my day down in. I devote a half hour to any significant task. That way you feel justified in doing it not only right, but knowing you still have plenty of time to do the other shit you've got to do. It makes more sense if you actually do it, and stick to it. Deep Work emphasizes the importance of putting mindfulness into how you spend your time. Scheduling your day minute by minute doesn't make much difference, it's the deliberate planning and decision making of how you'll spend your time that matters. Just read Deep Work. Please.
>Earplugs
I bought a big bag of earplugs that I have at my study area and in my backpack that I use to block the world out. I found that the reason I listened to music was so that I could "focus."Well it doesn't fucking work anon, because music and any other noise is a distraction.
I hope I helped! Goodluck and keep at it buddy.
>>
>>9078830
Failing is not the worst thing. All you have to do is embrace the failure as a learning experience. Instead of thinking "I must be a brainlet", think "what did I do wrong? How can I improve?"
>>
>>9078830
Well i dont know about the other anon, but ive been in you exact shoes similar to >>9078832

Things stuck extremely easily until i hit a wall. Then college kicked me in the ass until i learned study habits which worked both for me and for learning the material. And if you have problems studying your major's material, i would highly suggest thinking about switching, as it's only going to get harder from there
>>
>>9078844
this, 100%. i had to fail to succeed, to realize failing was not that big of a deal and that by never extending yourself in situations where you MAY fail, you already have failed.
>>
File: 1497836115886.gif (672KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1497836115886.gif
672KB, 1280x720px
>>9078832

Thank you anon,
I really did feel something while reading your comment.

Maybe, because you seem to have been in my shoes in you first year at uni ?

That's the kind of advice I was hoping for, someone who lived what I lived and who managed to get the fuck out of his problems.

I'll read that book, i feel like I just need motivation and a clean up of my lifestyle.

Thanks anon, I'll make a thread after my summer exams (if i do well) Maybe it will help someone.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.