[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.math.u-psud.fr/~limic/s om/stateofmath.html Has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: super_duper_thin.png (146KB, 1390x1000px) Image search: [Google]
super_duper_thin.png
146KB, 1390x1000px
https://www.math.u-psud.fr/~limic/som/stateofmath.html

Has math education declined. pic related.
>>
>>9074271

Yes, without a doubt. People don't have to understand jack to pass math classes
>>
>>9074272
What kind of math classes have you taken
>>
>>9074271
>The capacity for rigor is a gift, it can be (self)discovered/recognized but not learnt/acquired or taught (even by the most prominent living mathematicians and/or pedagogues).
Rigor isn't impossible to teach. People just tend to avoid learning it when they think they have an alternative, due to the effort involved and the fact that they don't see an immediate benefit.

She makes some good points about lowered standards and people using social or technological ability to hide flaws, but treating "rigor" as if it's the One Power from the WoT novels is silly.
>>
>>9074272
Can confirm, I graduated from a university in the UK with a 2:1 in Maths and I barely understood any of it. Most people in the class just learnt how to pass the exams rather than understanding the content, it's a common thing now it seems.
>>
>>9074271
Maybe in burgerlandia. In my vodka-ridden shithole of a homeland, math is still taught in the soviet style. We were taught from Kolmogorov's book in high-school and Zorich gives open problems as homework for good students in anal (first semester). I hate him but at least i stopped pretending i'm bright, so did everyone else in my class who got those homeworks.
>>
>>9074271

Yes, of course.

However, if you're wondering why... well there are many reasons. The easiest to understand is this: what is the market-clearing salary for lawyers, managers, salesmen, and activists? Now, what's the market-clearing salary for STEM jobs?

Clearly, the numbers tell us that there's a critical shortage of lawyers, managers, and politicians.
>>
>>9074271
>muh rigor: the essay
>>
>>9074300

I'm talking about high school and lower division classes, clearly
>>
>>9074399
The rectangles are, in fact, super duper thin.
>>
File: 1495418406704.png (64KB, 735x708px) Image search: [Google]
1495418406704.png
64KB, 735x708px
>>9074271
>>
>>9076668
For a nigger, the paper was groundbreaking though, nobody ever thought in their wildest dreams that ooga boogas could into calculus. I'm almost surprised she didn't get Fields medal.
>>
>>9074399
which books are you refering to? highly interested
>>
>>9076834
>I'm almost surprised she didn't get Fields medal.
You need to give things time. This years diversity fields medal went to an Iranian woman. Next time it may be for a black woman unless a more opressed woman can be found in time.

I just hope they give the diversity fields medal to the right person.
>>
>>9077129
There's no translation afaik, apart from Elements. But that wasn't the only book, he wrote a series of books for highschool mathematics, if you can read russian, i can upload photocopies for you.
>>
>>9077130
Go back to >>>/pol/. Mirzakhani was a great mathematician, unlike you or anyone on this board. Come back when you have Fields medal.
>>
>>9074271
>(i) The capacity for rigor is a gift, it can be (self)discovered/recognized but not learnt/acquired or taught (even by the most prominent living mathematicians and/or pedagogues). It is almost an innate characteristic, without which it is impossible to be a mathematician. The capacity for rigor may be lost temporarily or over a longer period of time or even permanently.
She drops this bombshell of a claim based on purely anecdotal evidence.

Her critique of feminist / AA policies (which she almost certainly benefited from, ironically) smacks of ivory-tower circle jerking and virtue signaling. Perhaps she should come down from the tower and collect some new anecdotes. I've had a 22-y/o welfare mom tell me proudly that she hid her 7-year-old son's math textbook from him one day because he was "studying too much" and "we aren't good at math". You have to see this shit to believe it
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.