[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I tried asking this on /g/ and failed horrible. I've been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1440442593586.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1440442593586.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
I tried asking this on /g/ and failed horrible.

I've been playing with my Arduino and some lego blocks all day, setting up LCD screen, distance sensor, the ethernet shield, it's fun. But the moment I have to deal with some thing more complex, something that requires resistors n' stuff, I'm completely lost.

Could any anons well versed in the language of magical pixies suggest to me some resources for learning from scratch?

I really want to have a decent understanding of how electricity behaves.
>>
>>9073565

I was looking at https://archive.org/details/MIT8.02S02

But it seems like it requires more general physics fundamentals than I have. Maybe I'm mistaken. Where should one start?
>>
Bump for interest
>>
>>9073565
if you actually want to understand it and not just monkey some tutorials you're gonna have to put in the hard work anon, including learning the math because just by plugging in numbers in equations you wont understand it.

You're basically asking "I want to understand what engineers understand". So take a look at the average Electrical engineering curriculum and start working.
Obviously this is gonna take a lot longer than you probably had anticipated, undergrad takes 4 years. Even if you can ignore some stuff don't expect to be done in a year.
>>
>>9073659
Of course it's going to be a lot of work. That's fine.

I did learn a fair bit of math when I was doing my CS degree, but I haven't done any serious math in .... 7 years? I do want to get back into it, partially because I find myself lacking the ability to calculate things in my current job.

When I was new to IT math wasn't as useful, but the higher I climb in my career, the more I find that I need to analyze things from a more rigorous point of view. And I think getting back into physics through learning about electricity so I can tinker with electronics more sounds like a good plan.
>>
>>9073565
Ohm's law is the most basic of fundamentals that you'll need. You'll also want to know about Kirchoff's laws of voltage and current. To really get a grasp on your capacitors and inductors, you'll want some prerequisite knowledge of differential equations, but if that's too much for now, you can also try just getting a multimeter and experimenting with the voltage response across the circuit elements over time. I suggest that you look up an electronic circuit book for beginners and go from there.

Once you're up there in your understanding, buy more pieces than you'll need so you can afford to pop some with your fumbling, and CHECK THE SPECIFICATIONS. You will not find an ideal diode, an ideal MOSFET, an ideal anything. You want to check to make sure that all your parts pull the amperage and the voltage that they're supposed to. Also, logic elements like AND gates and XOR gates are usually best built yourself if they're in line with the elements that need to be powered. You don't want to be sending your main power through a compact one-piece AND gate that outputs 2 milliamps when you're wanting that same line to go to a 3-amp motor later on. However, that's all after you have an academic understanding of basic electronic circuitry. The equipment that you use will make a difference when you're wanting to build an actual circuit.

>>9073659
>learning the math because just by plugging in numbers in equations
Yeah, good luck doing that with differential equations.
>>
>>9073664
You'll find a lot of sources in the sticky and /sci/ wiki.

Video lectures a nice, but n replacement for a book.
>>
>>9073671
Thanks man, that's really helpful. I'll note down the things you mention as "must-know".

>>9073673
I'm actually browsing through that right now.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.