[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If evolution is based on survival why did humans evolve to feel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: th (1).jpg (11KB, 199x300px) Image search: [Google]
th (1).jpg
11KB, 199x300px
If evolution is based on survival why did humans evolve to feel emotions like depression and hopelessness?
>>
>>9071861
if we didn't have sadness then we would have no motivation.... i think????
>>
chester j lampwick btfo he will never recover
>>
might as well ask why did we evolve to get cancer and aids
>>
>>9071861
Perhaps as an incentive to do things that typically relieve depression and hopelessness, like participate in social interactions and otherwise contribute to society
>>
>>9071861
to cull the less fit from the gene pool and their drain on resources :D
>>
>>9071861
more people commit suicide after child bearing ages than before. You posted a good example, he has kids. Another thing is we are so taken care of now we have the ability to become depressed
>>
It's not just humans. Whales and monkeys also commit suicide
>>
>be proto-hominid
>wander off from the rest of the tribe
>start feeling weird and sad
>feel happy when I come back to the tribe
>"guess I should stick with the tribe from now on"
>>
>>9071861
>evolution is based on survival
For some members of a species to survive, other members have to die.
>>
>>9071871
dis
>>
File: 1426734191748.jpg (24KB, 600x460px) Image search: [Google]
1426734191748.jpg
24KB, 600x460px
>>9072126
It is not enough that I survive, others must also die
>>
>>9071861
>If evolution is X why did humans evolve to Y
>Implying evolution is some kind of entity to make us immortals at some point or some shit like that

Dude, I'm sure tired of this threads.
>>
>>9072165
these*
>>
>>9072165
I think the concept that sapien-like life somehow always has to evolve more annoying
But yea so is this, but many people think evolution = progress and it doesn't seem to stop, maybe it comes with the package of being human
>>
>>9071861
pseudoectual here. I like this quote because it makes me think about how our strong understanding of the universe is both a blessing and a curse. Some use it to create great things, some use it as a crutch. Our religions are beneficial to our species fitness if nothing else, hence humanity will never stop existing till destroyed.
>>
>>9072228
but thats wrong. It's not a tragic misstep, it's just a step. And it's not nature separate from itself, it's nature able to alter itself. We are atoms trying to understand their own existence. The universe personified is us. just hope the next step isnt artificial intelligence like ghost in the shell shit
>>
>>9072228
the quote could be from a book, if you like it I suggest looking it up, could be emil cioran or thomas ligotti
>>
File: triple think.gif (505KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
triple think.gif
505KB, 1080x1080px
>>9071871
Why do 4chan users evolve into cancer and aids?
>>
>>9071861
Depression and hopelessness are lack of reward states. Meaning we evolved to like reward states such as love and happiness.
>>
>>9071861
Because some depressed halfnigger caveman managed to muhdik your greatgreat^n grandma before blowing his brains out with the stone age equivalent of a shotgun. Which is all nature really cares about desu
>>
>>9072253
>evolve into
I call this part into question, and I'm not even a redditor like you.
>>
>>9071948
/thread
>>
ITT : People think the theory evolution is the answer to all biological phenomena.
What about limb regeneration? We should expect limb regeneration in species in which it is advantageous for survival, but actually we find the opposite. It is often expressed where it is not useful, and lost when it would have been.

Sometimes stuff is random guys.
>>
>>9071861
Binary consequence of the possibility of other states.
Also not useless, and not every feature of a successful species has to be ideal and perfect for survival at all times. There are many other factors at work that allow depressive states to be buffered to an extent, survival wise.

I also suspect the modern presentation of depression is in no way representative of the majority of our history.
>>
Depression is an indication that there is something fundamentally wrong with your life that you dont like
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.