[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Asking here since /lit/ didn't help much. Are there any

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: GMexGZU.png (263KB, 382x288px) Image search: [Google]
GMexGZU.png
263KB, 382x288px
Asking here since /lit/ didn't help much.

Are there any pop-sci books worth reading?
>>
>>9070800
The Quantum Enigma

http://quantumenigma.com/nutshell/

I'd classify it as pop-sci, but it is of the highest level. There is no bullshit, analogies are incredibly accurate to the actual theory, but the analogous stories are within reach of anyone with a high school education.
>>
File: manga_15set.png (755KB, 813x644px) Image search: [Google]
manga_15set.png
755KB, 813x644px
>>9070800
>>
I don't know if it is pop-sci, but Jurassic Park's book is pretty amazing, it does concentrate on the science parts way more than the film.
>>
>>9070806
b u l l s h i t
>>
>>9070800
A Brief History Of Mankind by Yuval Noah Harari is pretty good, particularly it's bit on early human civilization (read: prior to the development of agriculture). It's not well cited, so I chose to replace it with a paleoanthropology textbook, but it's pretty interesting if you want to learn about the fall of humanity.

If you want a pop-sci book that'll actually give you some more utility than an existential crisis, then I might recommend Rationality: From AI to Zombies by Eliezer Yudkowsky.
>>
>>9070822
Elaborate
>>
Any for which you have a genuine interest in the subject area.
>>
I liked everything by Michio Kaku, especially "Physics of the Impossible"
>>
>>9070800
Anything by Roger Penrose or Feynman is pretty good, they aren't textbooks but they will go into the details more than most pop sci books (Feynman lectures are just that, lectures). Susskind's books ain't bad for an amateur. More than books I would suggest reading articles written by people who know what they are talking about yet aimed at a general audience, quanta magazine, nature, science, and (sometimes) nautilus are good for this sort of thing. Kolmogorov math it's content and meaning is great.
>>
>>9070800
The Road to Reality
>>
>>9070872
Feynman's lectures aren't pop-sci... they're mechanics lectures intended for the advanced physic's student. Have you even read what you're recommending? Lol
>>
File: 0140179976frL.gif (165KB, 312x475px) Image search: [Google]
0140179976frL.gif
165KB, 312x475px
>>9070800
>>
>>9070941
This, and Machinery of Life by David Goodsell. The latter is great for starting cellular biologists for building an intuition about how dynamic microscopic things can be and how crowded the cell is.
>>
>>9070903
>they aren't textbooks but they will go into the details more than most pop sci books (Feynman lectures are just that, lectures)
I didn't call them pop-sci books, I specifically called them lectures, did you even read the post?
>they're mechanics lectures intended for the advanced physic's student
You...haven't actually read the Feynman lectures, have you? Mechanics is one part, there's em, thermo, wave phenomenon, and qm, not just mechanics, they're also freshman/sophomore level texts, not "advanced physics student", hell high schoolers read the Feynman lectures with not much issue
>>
>>9070800
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chemical_History_of_a_Candle
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0INsTTU1k2UCpOfRuMDR-wlvWkLan1_r
>>
>>9070824
>If you want a pop-sci book that'll actually give you some more utility than an existential crisis
Why would that book give me an existential crisis?
>>
>>9071360
>t. brainlet
>>
>>9071360
>Why would that book give me an existential crisis?
It sets you on the path of realizing that agriculture was a net loss for humanity, and that you'll only ever be able to live in a caricature of the environment you were adapted to live in.
>>
>>
>>9070824
Yudkowsky is a literal crank and you would do well not to financially support him.
>>
>>9071423
You can get the book for free, and regardless of what you think about the author, the content of the book is pretty good (so far as I've read).
>>
>>9070824
>A Brief History Of Mankind by Yuval Noah Harari is pretty good, particularly it's bit on early human civilization (read: prior to the development of agriculture)
It's a terrible book of ideology shilling. It is literally just random, unfounded opinions paraded as factual.

>>9070800
>>9070800
No, all pop-sci books are shit.
>>
>>9070800
While not pop-sci, or easy to understand, it is intellectually rich and written for a general audience.
Incomplete Nature: How mind emerged from matter.
Terence Deacon
>>
>>9070800
Richard dawkins and Lawrence Krauss are good places to start
>>
>>9070800
Bill Bryson's A Brief History of Everything is as pop as you can get, buts its a good read.
>>
>>9071419
Bullshit
Have fun starving to death and get btfo by wild animals you idiot
>>
>>9070941
Would someone care to explain what this one is about? Why is it so great?
>>
>>9070800
No

/thread
>>
>>9071801
>>>/trash/
>>
>>9072004
>he doesn't respond with an argument
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>9072219
>you need an argument to counter a non argument
lol
>>
>>9070800
No, they will probably give you a wrong notion of a scientific concept and enchance your Dunning-Kruger effect, and then we will laugh at you when you spout stupid opinions.

Lectures on Physics by Feynman is the only "pop-sci" book I'd recommend
>>
>>9072300
t. brainlet
>>
>>9072307
>Dunning-Kruger effect
You're going through it right now.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.