[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't know anything about Medicine or Technology. What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 3938899-008.jpg (844KB, 1216x1920px) Image search: [Google]
3938899-008.jpg
844KB, 1216x1920px
I don't know anything about Medicine or Technology. What would it take to produce a bionic arm like this one? How far off until humanity is capable of producing something like this?
>>
First, for there to be any advantage we would need some way of articulating the arm that was as fast as normal arm movement and stronger than a normal arm without being too bulky. Currently we don't have anything even close to as good as muscle. Hydraulics are slow and bulky and electronic solutions would be too weak.

So pretty much what we need:
1: Something better than muscles to act as muscles
2: A lightweight, flexible material to make the arm out of
3: A power source to fuel off of this that isn't too cumbersome. I don't think you'll want to carry a backpack with 10 car batteries to run this thing.

On the bright side, research into controlling artificial limbs with brain signals is pretty far along, so that part will be relatively easy to get going.
>>
>>9070343
first initial obstacle i thought of was the difficulty in getting the brain to control it, pretty cool how far along people have come in that field desu

thanks for the answer anon :)
>>
>>9070333
our linear actuators are hot fucking garbage. nothing we have does muscle better than muscle. thats the first step towards synthetic appendages that are truly analogous. efficiency is a big thing too because human beings are crazy energy efficient when it comes to moving around. that efficiency also ties into the power supply dilemma. our batterys are also hot fucking garbage right now.

like >>9070343 said, the man-machine interface technology is the most headway we have made.

imo, we're looking at at least another 50-100 years before you see tech like that.
>>
id say we could produce pretty basic functions with just gearing, its strong and not necessarily all that slow, and could simply be powered by electronics, it just might be abit bulky and complex if you start throwing indivifual finger movements and such into the equation.
>>
They are able to link force feedback sensors to your nerve endings and it literally makes the patient feel the arm as if it's real. As a controls technician this interests me and really gets me thinking about the human nervous system as a collection of analog inputs and outputs. We really are just machines.
>>
>>>/wsg/1786373

Obviously leg is different than arm in terms of functionality/fine motor control but this is always worth a watch.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.