[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /sci/ so I was thinking, I'm a burger high school drop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 1392382098368.jpg (57KB, 818x750px) Image search: [Google]
1392382098368.jpg
57KB, 818x750px
Hey /sci/ so I was thinking, I'm a burger high school drop out but hear me out, can a finite space be infinite? I was drinking Dr Pepper and looking at the can I thought if you look at the can's shape it's really just a two dimensional form shaped in a three dimensional way (a square folded in a circle, forming the surface of a cylinder that is the can). If an ant walks on that can horizontally it is effectively infinite. Could the same be said of other things? Maybe our Universe is four dimensional (3D space and 1D time) but "folded" somehow so it is infinitely finite? Am I to something or just tripping on Dr Pepper?
>>
An ant walking on a cylinder doesn't have infinite can to walk on, it will just repeatedly walk on the same small section of can over and over again.
>>
>>9068061
wtf is that banana juice?
>>
Yeah spacetime actually does have a curvature. You should watch flatland, they do a good job explaining the proper perspective to have on higher dimensions
>>
You are intuitively realizing the nature of a subject called Topology. And yes, there is serious discussion at the highest ranks on the matter if our Universe is like your Dr Pepper can.
>>
>>9068070
That's what I thought. Sounds kinda gross tbqh.
>>
>>9068061
if you're interested in that sort of thing, you might like topology. if you're just sharing thoughts, neat (i guess). if you're going to use this and our feedback as some sort of validation for your intelligence and/or life decisions, myself and others would be happy to nitpick at everything you just said and tell you why it is completely stupid.
i hope you're just genuinely curious, so i can point you down the glorious math route which you'll never return from
>>
>>9068070
>>9068090
It tastes really fruity, that's about all. Unless it is artificially flavored then it is gross.
>>
>>9068096
hehehehe... banana juice... tastes "fruity"... hehe
>>
What stops a 2D shape from being "infinitely finite" then? The ant will be traveling on the edges of a circle if you think about it. I don't understand your notion of "infinitely finite." Your fascination seems more to be with the fact that you can keep moving in a circle without making a "turn," but the radius of the circle is still set. It's not like the 1D line is getting longer.
>>
File: End_of_universe.jpg (52KB, 557x501px) Image search: [Google]
End_of_universe.jpg
52KB, 557x501px
there were a big discussion by physicists about whether the universe is actually flat or not

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shape_of_the_universe
>>
>>9068092
>>9068061
don't listen to him, topology is a dead-end branch of math where the best part is a shitty joke about donuts and coffee mugs.
>>
>>9068070
>>9068090
>>9068096
>>9068109
It's banana milk you dopes
>>
>>9068061
this is the basics of topological thinking. if you want a rigorous answer, read the following:
Book of Proof by Richard Hammack
Topology by James Munkres

these kinds of interpretations are core to advanced math. consider studying it.
>>
>>9068592
stop discouraging blossoming undergrads. i need people to major in math so i can keep my job
>>
File: Seikaisuru Kado.gif (2MB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
Seikaisuru Kado.gif
2MB, 540x304px
>>9068072
>flatland
>the current year
The right answer, is The Right Answer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXX0JjG_q5A

Basically some Japs took "Flatland", pared it with "Childhood's End", and the stupidity was entertainingly synergistic.
>>
>>9068061
Current measurements indicate that space is in fact flat, if one ignores tiny details like stars and galaxies and stuff. We are like 99,5% sure of that.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.