[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are we forcing kids to do Algebra and upper maths? Why isn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Common-Core-tears.jpg (84KB, 960x639px) Image search: [Google]
Common-Core-tears.jpg
84KB, 960x639px
Why are we forcing kids to do Algebra and upper maths? Why isn't math just optional? Why does the government force a class of 30 kids to do math hoping that one or two will actually use high maths in their careers?
>>
>>9065625
>algebra is upper maths

idiots actually believe this.
>>
>>9065625
bump
>>
It's not the government it's the schools. They are business and they want to make money. Just another "requirement" they can tack on. The rest is just "It's always been done this way so we will continue to do it this way"

On top of that let's be honest I love mathematics but 99% of the population could give a shit about algebraic topology etc. so it gives us math teachers/professors something to do other than get paid to sit around and drink coffee.

Honestly it's infuriating; I did tutoring at a college for several years, and I just couldn't fucking stand it after awhile.
>>
Because mathematics is good for your brain. Even if you never use direct mathematics, it's a method of abstract thought that is useful in all areas of life.

>>9065690
don't bump threads in /sci/. This board is very slow.
>>
If you can't do algebra you're not worth educating. So ironically I agree that we shouldn't force kids to do math. We just shouldn't educate kids that can't do it.

We should also line said kids and their parents up against a wall and shoot them.
>>
We force kids to learn a lot of shit because if we don't force them to learn anything, most of them won't learn much. I know for a fact that I would have dodged pretty much every history class and English class, and I wouldn't have been able to read half of the things I find interesting to read today. The point of education up through high school is to give kids enough of a general background that they have the ability to pursue what they want.

And you don't learn upper level math in high school - at most you might be forced to learn basic algebra which is extremely useful for everyone.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.