[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

if light travels at the same amplitude because one photon has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Electromagneticwave3D.gif (470KB, 301x299px) Image search: [Google]
Electromagneticwave3D.gif
470KB, 301x299px
if light travels at the same amplitude because one photon has a set amount of energy how does amplitude modulation radio work?
>>
>>9064870
You take electrons and bounce them back and forth through a metal rod using an ac current. By varying the voltage supplied to the rod, the electrons move faster/slower emitting photons of different energies.
>>
>>9064883
wait but doesnt energy correlate directly to frequency and not amplitude?
E=hν=hc/λ

what you are describing is frequency modulation right?

amplitude is always the same
>>
>>9064894
Great question anon. My guess is that whilst photons do have a set amplitude, other forms of EM wave can have different amplitudes. Hopefully somebody with a better knowledge of the subject can confirm or deny.
>>
>>9064870
AM radio is best described using classical electromagnetism, not quantum physics.
>>
>>9065548
*other frequencies of EM waves can have different set amplitudes

Obviously this would mean that altering the freq would have an effect on the amp and vice versa meaning AM = FM. My mind is full of fuck.

>>9065556
Why? Is the amplitude of light not the same either way?
>>
>>9065568
what's the amplitude modulation of *crickets?
>>
hold me /sci/
>>
>>9064870
>if light travels at the same amplitude because one photon has a set amount of energy how does amplitude modulation radio work?
how can one beam of light be more intense than another?
>answer; the number of photons per unit area is greater
>>
>>9064870
radio waves are not light-based, otherwise you could see them, but rather they are invisible.
>>
>>9066336
>my eyes can see all light

T.my eyes are a spectrum
>>
>>9065568
Because classical EM is concerned with macroscopic processes, while quantum microscopic. Maxwell's equations describe the wave behavior well. While you could theoretically treat it with quantum formalism, practically you have to rely on statistics, meaning you are back at Maxwell's. Quantum is useful for understanding shit like state transitions.
>>
>>9065548
>somebody with a better knowledge of the subject
I have a technician class amatuer radio license, so I know a bit
AM is just changing how much power you're outputting a constant signal with
CW Morse code is technically AM since switching from off to on is changing the power outputted
FM is just changing on what frequency your outputting a constant power with
sorry if that doesn't explain everything
I'm not very /sci/
>>
>>9066550
>>9065548
as a side not I think the "Amplitude" in AM is referring to a different property of the signal than what you're talking about

amplitude is a pretty general word
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.