[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When I was a kid there was great buzz about stem cells and how

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: stemcell201607.jpg (504KB, 2400x1500px) Image search: [Google]
stemcell201607.jpg
504KB, 2400x1500px
When I was a kid there was great buzz about stem cells and how we're going to grow new tissues and organs from them. Whatever happened to that?
>>
everything got delayed in the west because embryonic stem cells hurt the feelings of religious retards, give it another decade
>>
>>9064353
FPBP
>>
>>9064353
This

>>9064348
I think that they have kept the investigation in China, but many of the results seem bogus and untested in the west because, well, what the other anon said.
>>
>>9064353
Bush didn't ban stem cell research he only banned federal funding for it, stop being a chucklefuck.
>>
>>9065737

>Implying this wouldn't cripple any field of research
>>
File: 1491923073860.png (137KB, 482x651px) Image search: [Google]
1491923073860.png
137KB, 482x651px
>>9065737
>Bush didn't ban stem cell research
Did I say he did? Why the strawman?
>>
>>9065737
That's like saying a sanction isn't banning trade just banning the transfer of money to another country
>>
>>9064348
You can use embyonic stem cells to grow whatever tissue you want etc but the process is not exactly perfect yet. If you want to transplant that into a person there is the problem of the immune response since the cells are harvested from embryos which probably don't have antigens matching the patient's. Also the ethics of harvesting from embryos gets in the way.

Alternatively one can reprogramme differentiated cells from the patient into induced pluripotent stem cells and then grow tissues and stuff from there to get around the immunity problem. The reprogramming procedure often causes genomic instability though, this along with the mutations the cells accumulated during the patient's lifetime as well as the large number of divisions required to form a new tissue/organ means that the cells have a high chance of becoming cancerous.

Long reply but I hope that gives some insight.
>>
>>9064348
they still are doing research on them, all the time, just not using embryonic stem cells, but induced pluripotent stemcells created by incubating certain cell types with appropriate biochemical signals to revert the cell back to it's pluripotent stage. That being said, it's more expensive than embryonic stem cells, but there is no ethical or moral issue really.
>>
It's still occuring it's just a lot more complicated than brainlets like to think it is.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.