[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If enough of us set up ground source heat pumps, could we solidify

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

If enough of us set up ground source heat pumps, could we solidify the earth's core sufficiently to destroy the magnetic field?

Asking for a friend.
>>
File: EGS.jpg (84KB, 623x360px) Image search: [Google]
EGS.jpg
84KB, 623x360px
>>9059599
no. You could run all the present and future energy needs of human civilization off of the heat from the core until the sun goes supernova and never make a dent in the temperature.
>>
>>9059609
Then why aren't we?

All the low grade heat could easily be used for heating - maybe not electricity generation, but heating at least.

Calcs?
>>
>>9059630
>Then why aren't we?
trillions in infrastructure costs to build the power generation stations. And since, once constructed, the only cost is maintenance there is very little justification for the profits energy companies are accustomed to. Also the oil industry is not eager to undermine their existing, highly profitable, traditional fossil fuel institutions.
>>
>>9059599
A ground source heat pump uses ground-stored solar energy though...
>>
>>9059674
The terminology is vague and all over the place.

Don't start with that shit.
>>
>>9059599
Yes. You will speed it up, however, it won't be by very much at all. Like you' be removing maybe 0.00000001% of the time off the current core solidification clock. Maybe add a few more zeros.

>>9059609
>>9059630
I think we passed or are close to 20 terawatts per year right now (all energy types combined). We can only get about 8% of land based geothermal which would be about 4,046.5 terawatts (50,581.8TW for the entire globe's output).

>>9059645
All energy generation is heavily subsidized by the governments. We pay for it via taxes and up front. So, the only thing blocking stuff like this is lobbyists for opposing energy sources, as you say.

>>9059674
That energy came from the formation of the planet, not from the sun's light energy. It is a running down flywheel that was spun up via gravitational energy.
>>
>>9059630
because good luck digging deep enough and your setup and repair costs far outweigh the energy you're going to be drawing.
>>
>>9059599
Assuming you could pump enough heat up here to solidify the core, I don't think you are going to like the environmental impact.

It is really pretty hot down there -- worrying about the magnetic field will be a waste f time.
>>
>>9059772
Please clarify -- we're talking about utilizing deep-down heat, resulting in core cooling like OP mentioned, right? If so, no the only thing stopping us is not lobbyists. There are some pretty huge technological roadblocks we'd need to deal with. Probably not insurmountable, if enough resources were devoted to it, but sufficiently daunting that this is not a short-term project.
>>
>>9059811
>huge technological roadblocks we'd need to deal with.
You're digging vertically downwards in your garden, not under roads.

Road blocks, regardless of how high-tech they are, are irrelevant.

Fucking retard.
>>
>>9059811
>deep-down heat

We can only bore so deep and only in areas where the mantel is "thin" will it be viable. Hence the 8% usable area on land. You know that 8-hour Energy drink? Well, Manoj Bhargava who made that is also researching making fibers out of graphene in order to pipe up heat from geothermal.

https://youtu.be/jD-_ACt7Q1U
>>
>>9059986
>pollution is a problem
>only shows china
>>
>>9059992
It was a much longer promotional video for a shit load of things he is doing. My favorite is the electric generator bicycle. I made a shitty one, for charging my netbook. It works, but is shitty. I just need different gearing and a flywheel. At least I can use it while sitting in any chair, including my PC chair.

http://billionsinchange.com/solutions/free-electric/

But, of course it shows China, he's Indian.
>>
>>9059986
Thats the cunt that came up with those 5 hour energy shots.

He's started some tech company now?
>>
>>9060040
>5-hour

Ah, never had one. Thought it was 8-hour. Yes, he made billions off that product and is into all manner of tech stuff. Seems that is where his passion is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY7f1t9y9a0

All I can say is more power to him.
>>
>>9060045
I think you meant to say POO
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.