[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Realistically speaking wouldn't it be better if we were

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault.jpg (888KB, 2556x1467px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
888KB, 2556x1467px
Realistically speaking wouldn't it be better if we were the first technological civilization in the galaxy?

It means we could colonize everything without worrying about conflicts with aliens.

Why are so many people so obsessed about not being alone in space?
>>
I think people are just trying to keep nihilism at bay. People are obsessed about many such things relating to, I suppose, a greater purpose.
>>
>>9059468
That is a possibility. Someone has to be first. Though, statistically, there'd be many "firsts" happening at the same time.

The main problem is that space is fucking huge. Much larger than what most people can even comprehend. It is filled with all manner of debris between the starts and planets. Far more debris than most people can comprehend. The second problem is that attenuation is a real bitch. Any signal sent out will eventually be rendered, not only incomprehensible, but also render so well camouflaged, weak, and distorted that it won't appear to be a signal at all. Then then you have all that debris between you and "them" further soaking up the signal's power. Hell, we may be awash in such signals every day and have no clue. It is much like, using your hand, slapping out a message in the water on one side of the Pacific ocean and hoping someone else on the other side is watching the ripples for the message.

The only way you'd be able to communicate or detect would be using an entire star as your signal device. Literally building a giant mechanism on one side that will block/unblock the star/sun to send out binary/Morse code type communications. That's the very least you need do and still have your signal detectable to everyone on that side of the star. That'd be like detonating an underground nuke to make waves on one side of the ocean so someone on the other side could detect the waves.
>>
>>9059795
>Though, statistically, there'd be many "firsts" happening at the same time.

There is absolutely no basis for that statement -- we have no idea how likely life is to arise on a given planet, nor how likely it is that life will wind up with intelligence and thence with technology.

If the chances of both of those things are decent, yeah, technological civilizations may be springing up all over the place at once. But if either or both is low enough, somebody may well have been alone at first -- and it might be us. Shit, if both are low enough, we may be the only one ever.

Figuring probabilities with no numbers to work with is not something you can really do.
>>
We are all simply put... pattern seeking algorithms

Slowly replaced by more sophisticated versions of ourselves
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.