[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I fell for the math degree meme because I love math and am really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: mathlet.jpg (125KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
mathlet.jpg
125KB, 620x413px
I fell for the math degree meme because I love math and am really good at it, but the only valid option seems to be actuarial sciences, if I want a stable high paying job. Is this a trap? It seems as much work as going to med school, but you will have a job and make money while studying for other exams. I really do like pure math but have been told by several phd students that jobs in math academia are few and far between.
>>
>>9056357
Pursue a math PhD?
>>
>>9056357
>wants to get a scientist
>wants to make the big money

choose one...one who really has the thinking of a scientist doesnt give a fuck about payment, as long as he has knowledge, something to eat and a house and bed to sleep

What could you buy, if you know the secrets of life? nothing from value for someone like that tho...
>>
>solve millenium problem
>collect money
>fuck bitches
>>
>>9057607
>solve millenium problem
>refuse money
>live at mum's
>>
File: 2116lh0.jpg (18KB, 208x312px) Image search: [Google]
2116lh0.jpg
18KB, 208x312px
>>9057609
>mfw
>>
>>9056357
Nothing wrong with being an actuary but you better decide if that is what you really want. If you like mathematics odds are that doing a "real" job will consume your soul and you will be depressed. Before you make the decision not to become a research just confirm that in 5 years you do not see yourself hanging from a noose on the ceiling. Because remember, even millionaires kill themselves.

That said, the math is a meme meme could be a meme itself so that we can sway other students of mathematics away from becoming PhDs so that we can keep all the math jobs to ourselves haha.

So you know, don't fall for the meme ;^)
>>
>>9057609
>>9057616
LUL
>>
>>9056357
Get a PhD. No, I'm serious. Go for a PhD.
>>
File: 1486842085114.png (441KB, 300x900px) Image search: [Google]
1486842085114.png
441KB, 300x900px
>>9057644
>in 5 years you do not see yourself hanging from a noose on the ceiling.
>>
>>9056357
A mathematician will get a lot of great paying jobs If he is willing to work in something that's not actually mathematics. If you love math enough and are actually good at a high level (can't know this until you reach that level unless you are a genious) academia will be very rewarding but if not you are better off getting into another field after you finish the degree
>>
>>9057600
Fuck you. Puritan shit.
>>
File: acura_legend.jpg (81KB, 885x498px) Image search: [Google]
acura_legend.jpg
81KB, 885x498px
I studied applied math because I like the subject, and got a job as a web developer. It's alright I suppose.
>>
>>9057644
>That said, the math is a meme meme could be a meme itself so that we can sway other students of mathematics away from becoming PhDs so that we can keep all the math jobs to ourselves haha.

You just reminded me how much I *hate* jews.
>>
>>9058778
how'd you land that? serious, I'd kill for a dev job right now
>>
>>9057600
well i would love to be a scientist but at the same time i would like for me and my family to have a comfortable life
>>9057644
Is being an actuary that boring? I do enjoy doing some applied math and analysis. Will it still consume my soul?
>>9058039
What can i do if i get my PhD and don't get the research job i want
>inb4 300k stating
>>9058778
How much do you get and do you like your job?
>>
>>9059287
>Is being an actuary that boring? I do enjoy doing some applied math and analysis. Will it still consume my soul?

Well, I don't really mean only actuary. I mean any job.

I do not have first hand experience as an actuary but when I was an undergrad I got a job as a programmer. At the beginning it was fine because it was a new thing for me and I was excited about the money and stuff but quickly things turned dark.

Because of the schedule of the job I had to miss various talks given at my university. The job became tedious and stressful. Some days I would get back home and I would have no energy to study math. It started making me depressed because I felt that I was not unleashing my complete potential as a mathematician because I could not study as much because of my job.

And that is the problem with getting a job. It interferes with your mathematics. Fortunately I was able to get out of it. My job did not hurt my grades (because I worked fucking ass off studying) so one day out of nowhere I was offered a stipend at my university. It was just 1/4th of what I was making at my job, but it was money I would get only to study mathematics. And this plus the good relations I had with my professors and the administration of the math department solidified the idea that my life was already decided. I thought that if I wanted, I could just become a mathematician now. There was no need for me to be working outside of mathematics. I no longer needed that backup, so I quit.

In the end, the job wasn't bad. What made it bad was how it blocked me from doing as much math as I wanted. There were some days when I would just open a latex editor and do math problems at my job the entire day. Clearly this was bad for me and for my employer.
>>
>>9056357
>if I want a stable high paying job

why would you?
>>
File: kaga.png (135KB, 438x444px) Image search: [Google]
kaga.png
135KB, 438x444px
>>9059657
>There were some days when I would just open a latex editor and do math problems at my job the entire day.

>tfw this is my current situation, down to shirking programming work to do math problems in TeX

It's not even an issue with the nature of my projects (working on them has been intellectually stimulating and I've learnt a lot from the experience), but that they've been stuck with me months after the innovative aspects have given way to administrative tedium, and what was once a joy to work on (a chance to learn something new!) has become a chore.

That said, it's probably just me being a lazy sack of shit (occupational hazard from studying mathematics, though it was definitely worse once I became a full-time programmer). OP would probably fare better than I did should he decide to follow my path.
>>
>>9056357
I fell for the engineers do lots of math meme and did ChemE, then realized they dont do anything above calc.

It gave me a good start though, decided to finish the degree, worked for a couple of years, saved some money then went back to uni and did a pure path degree. Now Im self employed in something that has nothing to do with math or engineering and im continuing with my pure math studies just for fun.

I was ready to kill myself while working as an engineer, but it turned out better than I expected.

I thought about maybe becoming an actuary, but it seemed kind of monotonous, but I quess that will be the case in any job.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.