[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Small college, one physics professor. >Professor had great

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

>Small college, one physics professor.
>Professor had great credentials. Carried hundreds of students through a small, but respectable degree program.
>Retires mid-semester due to leukemia.
>All physics courses except for "Physics for Biologists" are not offered temporarily.
>Incoming freshman are welcomed to a dead program. Some make plans to transfer the following semester, most drop-out in the first few months.
>Non-majors that need calculus-based physics (e.g., geology and chemistry students) are told to wait until a replacement has been hired.
>Wait a year. Told a replacement may not be hired due to low enrollment in the physics program (haha).
>Wait another year. "Physics for Biologists" is renamed "College Physics." College Physics I and II are the only physics classes offered. Geology and chemistry students are told to take college physics here or look for credit elsewhere.
>Mfw I was told to wait for two consecutive years just to receive a "fuck off."
>Mfw I have to pay for physics I and II out of pocket as single classes from other colleges do not qualify for financial aid. This will cost me $3000 out of pocket per semester and push me to 20 credits each semester.
>Mfw I fell for le "big fish in small pond," small college meme.
I have won every undergrad research fellowship in my department, received the best internships, and the best scholarships for the last three years, but it just doesn't seem worth it when I am unable to take the most basic classes to earn my degree. To anyone starting college, skip the small liberal arts/private schools and go to a university.
>>
>>9055088
Damn, that is horrible OP. How come the administration waited so long to hire the guy an assistant or something. I mean, people die. They should have expected that one day the guy would need a replacement. That just sounds like bad management.

I think it is misguided of you to blame this on small departments. I am doing mathematics in a small college and here there are at least 50 different professors of mathematics.

You should blame this on management. Your university sounds like a private university just wants to make as much money as possible and the penny-pinching fucks didn't hire more physicists because the physicists did not make them money. So yeah

>Daily reminder that private colleges are a scam and a meme
>>
File: 1499220960795.png (270KB, 438x413px) Image search: [Google]
1499220960795.png
270KB, 438x413px
>>9055088
>goes to a shitty school
>school turns out to be shit

you should have gone to a proper university, obviously.
>>
>>9055088
>physics class required for other major
>told a replacement may not be hired due to low enrollment in the physics program
??
>>
>americans have to act like literal bums collecting myriads of different classes instead of having a relevant path to a degree laid out for them

jesus
>>
>>9055088
Large state university's are great. Solid education, good professors, and a degree that is worth something.
>>
>>9055088
Sorry, OP. :(
>>
Have you tried transferring to another university?
>>
>>9055088
Yeah if you're going to a small college and there's any word at all of a professor or something happening to the course at all, you should just dip out when you can unless you're literally about to finish anyway.
They got rid the computer electronics course here for low enrollment if I remember correctly but I was just finishing my last semester so I was the last person get my degree from it.
>>
>>9055397
Yeah, I got boned. I will likely be the last person in the geology program to graduate with two semesters of calculus and proper physics, and only because I'm chasing the physics classes. Everyone else is settling.
If it weren't for my internship, I would be more or less fucked when it comes to grad school. Meh program, but I'm a co-author with one of the top names in my desired area of study.
>>
>>9055232
I almost did, but I didn't want to pay out the ass for the same degree. Everyone I spoke to, even professors at other colleges, said I would be better off at my current college. A bachelor's degree is a bachelor's degree.
>>9055176
If I could do it all over again, I would. Hindsight is 20/20. I was undeclared for my first year, needed the full ride to explore.
>>9055113
>Physics professor dies
>Enrollment in physics drops to zero
>Kek, guess we don't need a physics professor. Just look at the enrollment in the program!
They're ass hats. The science department cares about the pre-med brainlets, not the physical science students.
>>9055107
50 math professors? Is that a typo? Most small colleges I know of have 20 professors per department, sometimes fewer.
>>
>>9056606
Are you able to take the class at a local community college?
>>
Im really sorry this happened to you. Learn to not trust anything a counselor or schoolboard says unless it is in writing and sueable. Take your education in your own hands and transfer or take the extra classes at community where it is inexpensive
>>
>>9055088
yes. I graduated from a small college, something similar happened to most students. One of my chemistry friends, her adviser was not for chemistry and completely forgot she had to take a class, and she applied to graduation and everything and was told she had to stay an extra semester (and extra 10k or so). she was livid.

>CC for core classes
>transfer them to 4 year state school
>graduate with high GPA, enter respectable Master's program

by far the best plan financially
>>
>>9057405
Lesson learned. I got fucked. No way am I transferring now that I'm in my senior year, as much as I want to. I don't think it would be worth it.
I'll just enter a respectable master's program, and hopefully an even more respectable PhD after that.
>>
>>9055088
in chemistry
what does it mean to flood a mixture?
say for example if I needed to flood a mixture with 10% HCl?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.