[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why haven't we created a genetically-engineered virus to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: mosquito-on-skin.jpg (18KB, 550x364px) Image search: [Google]
mosquito-on-skin.jpg
18KB, 550x364px
Why haven't we created a genetically-engineered virus to eradicate mosquitoes and bedbugs yet?
>>
>kill all the mosquitos
>niggers consume the planet even faster

great idea, champ
>>
>>9047395
mosquitoes have their role in the environment
think of the food chains that could collapse with their eradication
>>
Google biolabs is releasing 200,000 genetically engineered mosquitos that renders one gender sterile. Mosquitos make up a very small part of their predators diet and are easily replaced when eradicated
>>
>>9047405
My own post couldnt be more wrong. A subsidiary of google is releasing 20,000,000 bacteria infected mosquitos to render one of the sexes sterile
>>
File: analytics.jpg (146KB, 1196x960px) Image search: [Google]
analytics.jpg
146KB, 1196x960px
>>9047402
>Think of the insects that exclusively eat mosquitos
>.......
>>
>Release a man made virus for mos.
>Mos. carry virus some die
>Some survive
>Virus mutates
>Mos. pass virus onto humans
>Possible the next zika plagues

>
>>
>>9047395
Why don't we genetically engineer mosquitoes to eat bed bugs?
>>
>>9047395
People are trying to, as mentioned by other anons in the thread.

>>9047396
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVimVzgtD6w
Lower mortality rate = lower population growth.
>inb4 b-b-b-b-
No, how the world works doesn't have to be intuitive you gibbering baby. Your second hand "it stands to reason that..." worldview is inaccurate and that's all there is to it. On top of which which, while 247 million people are infected with malaria each year only 1 million people die from it, so you would save not only one million lives but 246 million times the amount of time spent sick and hence not being productive, which is a substantial drain on the economies of countries where malaria is prevalent. More economic productivity would lead to higher quality of life which would lead to lower birth rates.

>>9047402
http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100721/full/466432a.html
Only a small fraction of all mosquito species transmit disease, and in some locations and ecosystems it would be perfectly fine to wipe those species out.
>>
>>9047395
Mosquitoes occupy a niche that can easily be filled with the many flies, gnats, etc. that are just as bad, if not worse than mosquitoes.
Bedbugs is a good question, however
>>
They are genetically engineering sterile mosquitoes but it makes no sense to me at all that it should work

Also species having a role in an ecosystem and their removal causing collapse is a myth; that only applies to keystone species which are highly connected to other species and I'm personally even skeptical of that concept
>>
>>9047888
They're not genetically engineered. They have natural bacteria in them that makes 70% of the males go sterile.
>>
>>9047395

>The arctic mosquito is the only pollinator in the artic and tundra regions. Unlike tropical mosquitos, arctic mosquitos don't carry diseases.
>>
>>9048183
They still bite you and make you itchy.
>>
>>9047888
Imagine you have a population of men and women. The numbers are roughly equal, and so you could assume that the number of offspring is proportional to the number of women who successfully mate. If you introduce a bunch of sterile men into the population, the women will still attempt to mate at the same rate, but they are much more likely to fail to produce offspring. As such, the next generation is much smaller.
It only works to thin populations, and temporarily at that.
>>
>>9048121
My bad, thanks for pointing out
Memory is unreliable
>>
We tried and then the left banned ddt because its inhumane to kill things that kill people.
>>
>>9048418
Didn't bedbugs acquire resistance to DDT?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.