[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we know what lies deep in the Earth's surface if

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 10

File: Thinking-Monkey.jpg (90KB, 980x653px) Image search: [Google]
Thinking-Monkey.jpg
90KB, 980x653px
How do we know what lies deep in the Earth's surface if we have never actually observed it?
>>
>>9045129
Lots of hot metal under immense pressure. Not that much else desu
>>
>>9045129
because i said so
>>
File: lava.jpg (32KB, 350x525px) Image search: [Google]
lava.jpg
32KB, 350x525px
>>
File: SKSpaths.jpg (75KB, 570x588px) Image search: [Google]
SKSpaths.jpg
75KB, 570x588px
Good question. I'm a geologist. The answer is several ways. One way is that we can look at the chemical composition of lava. There are several basic kinds of lava but two stand out as most important in answering your question.

MORB and EMORB. A MORB is Mid Ocean Ridge Basalt. It's the kind of lava that comes up in the center of the ocean and what makes up the vast majority of the bedrock under the ocean floor. EMORB is Enriched Mid Ocean Ridge Basalt. Enriched Mid Ocean Ridge Basalt is thought to originate far below normal mid ocean ridge basalts. It contains different mineral composition and is higher in metals like copper, silver, and gold. You find it in hot spots, areas of the Earth with volcanism that is unrelated to plate tectonics such as Iceland, Hawaii, and Yellowstone. It is believed that EMORBs show a better picture of what the chemical composition of the Earth is deep below the surface.

We also get some idea of the center of the Earth from earthquake waves. P-waves and S-waves travel through the Earth at different rates depending on the material they pass through. They are deflected by liquid or stopped altogether. How they deflect through the Earth gives us an idea of what type of rock, whether fluid or solid, exists in the Earth.

We also have the mass of the Earth itself. We know how big it is, that was the easy part, but it's mass took many centuries to determine and wasn't until the work of Henry Cavendish that we could measure exactly how massive the Earth was. Take the mass of the Earth and its volume and that gives you a rough estimate of what it's made of. It's primarily iron.
>>
>>9045129
>How do we know what lies deep in the Earth's surface if we have never actually observed it?
>in the Earth's surface
>in the surface
>inside the surface
What?
Maybe learn basic English syntax before trying to tackle the 'big' questions.
>>
File: peridotite.jpg (480KB, 877x1024px) Image search: [Google]
peridotite.jpg
480KB, 877x1024px
For more surficial geology we have some instances where Earth's mantle has been brought to the surface. These are rare but one well known instance is the Island of Crete which is made up of a good chunk of Earth's mantle. The mantle is primarily composed of Olivine, Orthopiroxine, Clinopiroxine, and Spinel (Fun fact, the crown jewels of England contain not a ruby but a large spinel) and is a rock called Peridotite when brought to the surface. The mantle is not liquid and red like you see in cartoon drawings but hard, rigid, and green.
>>
File: orang.jpg (92KB, 700x467px) Image search: [Google]
orang.jpg
92KB, 700x467px
>>9046321
Why are orangutans so comfy?
>>
File: rawImage.jpg (98KB, 1024x730px) Image search: [Google]
rawImage.jpg
98KB, 1024x730px
>>9046420
I'll tell you why: they are body positive, and they prefer being alone, like autists
And most likely smarter as gorillas
>>
File: 1500348877127.jpg (77KB, 634x516px) Image search: [Google]
1500348877127.jpg
77KB, 634x516px
>>9046400
goe lick some rocks nerd
>>
File: orangutansmile3.jpg (108KB, 675x449px) Image search: [Google]
orangutansmile3.jpg
108KB, 675x449px
>>9046400
>geologist
>>
>>9045129
>never actually observed
Lrn2instrumentation fgt pls
>>
>>9045129
How do we know we really have memories stored in our brains if we never actually observed them?
>>
>>9047003
How do we know we really have brains if we haven't actually observed them?
>>
>>9046400
>seriously responding to ape posters

For what purpose
>>
>>9047763
I liked it anyway
These anons need to be cherished
>>
>>9048329
The geologist I mean by the way, not the ape posters
>>
>>9045129
You can observe things with instruments not just your 5 senses. Radar and sonar probably. But I'm not a scientist just a random wage slave who lurks here.
>>
>>9046400
Thanks for the explanation anon.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.