[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /sci/, a /vr/-fag here and I wanna ask you about Vsauce,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: Hey Vsauce Micheal here.jpg (41KB, 601x398px) Image search: [Google]
Hey Vsauce Micheal here.jpg
41KB, 601x398px
hey /sci/, a /vr/-fag here
and I wanna ask you about Vsauce, I've been binge watching his channel for a while and wanted to know what's your opinion of him, any good? bad? any other youtube channels you'd recommend? hell any other boards you'd suggest for learning about cool shit?
>>
>>9044985
If you are going to watchmeme videos watch 3blue1brown as at least it explains shit beyond "I fucking love science"
>>
>>9044990
well, I don't want to watch meme videos, I'd like to actually learn
>>
>>9044985

When I visit voards other than my "home" board(VR also), I never feel the need to announce the fact. Why did you?
>>
>>9044985

Are you NES faggots or babages cramps or some other trip fag?
>>
>>9044997
Then get a textbook and read on the subject. Or watch classroom lectures on youtube if you really can't surmise the thought of reading.
>>
>>9044997
(((MIT Courseware))) Gilbert Strang linear algebra to start
>>
>>9044985
He has a few good videos, if the stuff he talks about interests you, try a go at some actual research into the topics.
>>
>>9044997
He talks mostly useless garbage that is not anymore science than reading an entire book of those little "did you know?" useless trivia. Most these YouTube channels are not better, they're all basically loud jerkasses getting views by appealing to a generally dumb audience. If you enjoy YouTube as a platform, I recommend searching for videos with actual scientists talking. Stephen Hawking made shit tons of good documentaries for people to have a basic idea of what modern Physics is about. You have to keep in mind that science is not something easy. Even when you watch "good" documentaries, you still have only an oversimplified theorical explanation of something. If you want to really learn about science, the first thing you'll need to do is review highschool level Math and learn Calculus if you didn't already. You will [math]have[/math] to be good at Math if you want to truly learn science. Otherwise anything you "learn" is as scientific as studying History. If you're really interested, do a little Math everyday plus read about something else like Biology, Chemistry, Physics, anything. Who knows, maybe ten years from now you'll win a Fields medal and thank me in your speech.
>>
>>9044997
3blue1Brown and Mathologer are what I'd recommend, maybe numberphile if you're desperate.
>>
>>9047173
I think his videos on ordinals and cardinals, fixed points, and supertasks are legitimately educational, if a bit simple. But I agree no amount of YouTube videos will ever compete with real education or books dedicated to the subject.
>>
check out kurzge... something, it'll show up in the search feed.
>>
>>9047173
Intelligent people are curious about the world and lust for knowledge, but they don't necessarily want to be scientists. That's where something like vsauce comes in. The fact that you're actually trying to vilify the radical idea of a person wondering how black holes work or whether headlights would work at light speed makes me think you are actually quite unintelligent, or at least have a significant, disabling inferiority complex that you compensate for by pretending exhaustive knowledge is the only knowledge worth sharing. It's not surprising that there's a lot of people like you on this unbearably garbage pseudointellectual site.
>>
I like Vsauce, some of his videos are really interesting. I feel like you can learn from some of the content on his channel, but obviously a 5-10 minute video won't be able to provide the level of education a book in the subject would.

I like his videos because they can introduce very complex concepts in an interesting, and simplified way that makes sense to the average viewer. I think this is especially important for younger viewers too because they can gain some understanding for a concept that only a dedicated uni student would understand
>>
>>9044985
Its pop-sci, meaning that it should be avoided like the plague by anyone who cares about science.

Compared to the rest he is pretty good though.
>>
>>9044985
Too superficial to have any educational worth whatsoever.

Tell me what you've taken away from any of his videos that you watched a couple of weeks ago. You're meant to go "Woah! Cool! Interesting!" while watching his rants, but there is no real substance that sticks.
>>
>>9047786
https://youtu.be/SrU9YDoXE88
https://youtu.be/ffUnNaQTfZE
https://youtu.be/csInNn6pfT4
>>
>>9047786
You get introduced to topics you might not have been aware of and concepts too, and then can do further reading if it interest you enough.

Would you rather all youtube videos be either extremely technical from the outset meaning almost nobody is going to watch them or just pointless vapid shit that doesn't even make you curious about how things work?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.