[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, why isn't everyone using org-mode for note taking?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

So, why isn't everyone using org-mode for note taking?

> live latex inline preview
> configure latex exactly how you want
> perfect folding/headline management
> searchable
> completely programmable
> runs on any toaster
>>
How are you writing a pdf without using LaTeX as your language? I use vim and live LaTeX preview, and have to code everything accordingly (e.g. \maketitle)
>>
>>9041937
The pdf on the right is a book, not really related to the left (besides subject). The beauty of emacs is that you can display latex equations inside the editor without creating the pdf (the text is written in orgs markup language but I can use \(\) and \begin{env} and it is processed as latex).

You can export from .org to pdf but it is a lot of work to make org organize headings properly, plus you miss the folding of sections which is one of my problems with writing latex directly.
>>
>>9041924
Redpill me. I am aware of org-mode but I have never considered how it might be useful for note-taking. What is your process like?
>>
>>9041946
It is quite simple desu.

> use one big file for each subject, narrowing makes this alright
> cdlatex for latex symbols
> yasnippet for general macros
> use drawers to hide observations/proofs
> usually only write the main non obvious steps of a proof, if a lot of calculations scan my work and add it in the proof drawer (I have a screenshot function which copies part of my screen to a file in the current directory+adds to emacs)
> learn to use links in emacs, you can reference (with clickable urls) any section in any .org

Not very different from writing your notes in Latex, the big bonus is reading it directly without compiling and having the possibility of links between files/folding sections.
>>
>>9041924
can you print it out in a good looking format
>>
>>9041943
desu senpai
>>
I use pen-and-paper mode
>>
>>9043059
As I said, you can export it to pdf (actually org is translated to latex then emacs calls pdflatex for you). But since the point of using org-mode is using a simpler markup language for text/sections the result is not as easy to customize.

It works well for sending snippets to colleagues since you can export only parts of the file too, but I wouldn't recommend it for papers/more formal looking pdfs.

>>9043148
I find paper inefficient when working through several texts at the same time/non linearly through a book. Specially corrections/skipping sections temporarily.
>>
>>9043188
Can it also import Latex? How is it compared to Lyx? How hard/lengthy is it to configure?
>>
>>9043204
I'm not sure how well importing works, but should be possible (google it). I only had a couple of .tex with notes before moving to emacs so I did it by hand (remove formatting etc).

Much better than Lyx, specially if you want to customize it exactly how you want. Afaik lyx can't even fold sections which is very useful.

Configuring really depends. You can start using latex previews in 10 minutes but getting it the way you want can take a few days of using it/tweaking. In my case I have a .emacs file of about ~400 lines and a few functions defined elsewhere for justifiyng previews and adding screenshots.

Really, with google (org has a good wiki) and a minimal knowledge of programming (and I really mean it by minimal) you can automate almost anything on emacs.
>>
>>9044086
Any questions?
>>
Check out "ox-twbs" to output org into sexy html which makes it easy to share.

You should also switch from zathura to pdf-tools, pdf-tools makes emacs by far the best pdf reader available
>>
>>9044342
Does it use mathjax? I had some problem with html export in the past so I usually just send the compiled pdf when the need arises.

So you do use org for notes? I'm currently thinking about running a vm on google/aws and making my notes acessible from any browser (through vnc and something like novnc), would be neat in the rare cases when I don't have my notebook with me.
>>
>>9044649
It uses the regular org html exporter which by default uses mathjax, you can add the line "#+OPTIONS: tex:dvipng" to use images instead. Heres a preview of the output http://clubctrl.com/org/prog/ox-twbs.html

I store my notes on dropbox, works nicely as it has an html preview. You need a public dropbox folder if you want the html preview to find the images though.
>>
>>9041924
I just use overleaf.
>>
>>9041943
>folding of sections
what do you mean?
>>
>>9044917
Headers (lines starting with *) can be collapsed to one line/expanded at will. E.g., the properties of exact sequences are hidden in the image.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.