[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recently I was reading about how the universe has an expiration

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1474641417157.png (321KB, 592x565px) Image search: [Google]
1474641417157.png
321KB, 592x565px
Recently I was reading about how the universe has an expiration date, that when the universe is gone then that's it.

I'm not religious or spiritual, I don't believe in any form of an afterlife; however, I still find this overwhelming and a little depressing.

Everything came from nothing and everything will once again become nothing.

If that's the case, then what's the point?
>>
No real "point" but just enjoy your life while you have it. Life may be full of suffering, but there is an infinite amount of pleasure to be obtained from it
>>
*dips fedorachanga*
>>
>>9041898
>If that's the case, then what's the point?
The issue is precisely this: if it is the case then there IS no point.
But you can always choose to not believe.

I consider myself a recovering nihilist. But when I realized my grim outlook on life and its futility was negatively affecting my life I decided to cast it aside just as I had previously cast aside religion. There's no reason to shackle yourself into depression because of an idea. Don't like religion? Don't believe in god. Laugh at everyone who says you're a sinner who's going to hell. Don't like the nihilism that arises from a reductive materialist view of the universe? Spend as little time contemplating the finality of death as possible. Laugh at everyone who calls you a science denying idiot.
>>
>>9041939
I suggest you find God again before its too late to realise your mistake.
>>
>>9041905
That's a good point.

>>9041939
I'm not bothered by the finality of my death. It's the finality of the universe's death that bothers me a little, yet I also accept it.

>>9041920
I wasn't trying to be "fedora". I'm genuinely brooding on this.

>>9041945
Not him, but no thank you. I'll oblivion over heaven.
>>
>>9041945
Nah. I'll wait for God to find me. He knows where I am.
>>
>>9041898
Who says the universe has an expiration date?

I choose to believe that humans will eventually, if we survive, in millions of years, discover a solution to the problem. Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, and who's to say magic can't save the universe from heat death or whatever demise you imagine?

Either way, its happening so far from now its not like it matters. I just take an optimistic approach to it.
>>
>>9041898
Existence isn't just physical. Consciousness continues beyond this physical plane
>>
>after I eat this piece of cake it will be gone so there's no point in eating it

Never really understood this line of reasoning. Cake still tastes good.
>>
>>9041898
I suggest you read about poincare recurrence, string theory, and quantum tunneling. All three of these posite the universe is infinite/recurring
>>
>>9041898
>reddit spacing
Go back to /mu/ faggot.
>>
>>9041898
>I'm not religious or spiritual
>Everything came from nothing and everything will once again become nothing.

You've bound yourself up in materialistic thought, thinking all that there is is material, which is false. The existence of the spiritual must be established to reach a satisfactory conclusion. There's a clear difference between a living man and a dead corpse. That difference is the presence of the superior spiritual energy, the soul, manifested as consciousness throughout the body. When the spiritual energy is present, the inferior material body is able to be sustained. However, when the spiritual is gone, the material body decomposes. So material existence stems from and depends upon the spiritual energy. The spiritual is eternal and never ends, you'll never not be conscious, such a thing is impossible. Material on the other hand is born, stays for some time, and then is destroyed; it is temporary. So once the material universe is destroyed, there won't be any void or eternal nothingness, but consciousness will persist.
>>
>>9042377
stop shitting the board
you don't need to litter every thread with this shit
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.